PDA

View Full Version : Help! I need advise with attaching a forearm stub

Timmeu
03-28-2011, 10:22 PM
I would like to visit with someone about techniques to attach a forearm stub to a cutdown 1842 buttstock. I am certain I can make several bad attempts but would like to enjoy the advanced knowledge of someone here on the board.

varsity07840
03-29-2011, 08:37 AM
PM sent

Timmeu
03-29-2011, 09:45 PM
HI Varsity

I didn't get the PM email me at timmeu@basswoodbob.com

Fauch125
03-29-2011, 09:56 PM
Not meaning to highjack the thread, but I would be interested in that information as well.
Jon Faucher 4th Va Inf

varsity07840
03-30-2011, 10:10 AM
I recently did an 1816 splice. The new piece was made to be joined under the rear barrel band. The spring slots were already cut. The original stock was cut back foward of the middle band. I chose to cut it back to the shoulder for the rear band rather than slightly foward as that gave me more with in 175 year old wood to locate the joining dowels, and worked well with the location of the spring slot and band. I cut it square, clamped in a miter box. Checked the end of the new piece for square and drilled two holes for 1/8" dowels on each side of the channel about 3/4'' deep. I put two short, pointed dowels in the end that projected out just far enough to remove with pliers. I dabbed some white out on them and with the barrel mounted in the old stock, I slid the new piece into place where the dowels hit, marking the hole locations. I drilled the holes, thinned the joining dowels a bit to allow for acra glass in the holes and final alignment
I put acraglass on both ends remounted the barrel, joined the two pieces and put the ramrod in. When properly aligned, I clamped it all together. Put lots of butcher's wax on the barrel and rod as a release agent. It came out quite well. The band fits square against the shoulder and hides the joint. Way back when, someone put the rear band on backwards and the flared end left a bad scar in the stock in the perfect shape of the flare. I had to remove a bit more wood in the depth of the scar, cut some paper backed walnut veneer to the shape and glue it in place. If you look for it you can see the repair, but in my mind at least, it looks alot better.

Short story went long.

Sorry.

Duane

Timmeu
03-30-2011, 11:34 AM
Thanks Duane

Your method looks great! I had thought out most of the steps but was uncertain about how to locate the holes for the dowels. The buttstock I have has the rear band spring hole to help make a measuring point. I just need to get the stub from the vendor to see what I have to work with.

Marty