PDA

View Full Version : CS Rank Insignia Colors

Oregon Reb
03-26-2011, 03:17 AM
I am putting together a display of some uniform items my Great Great Grandfather MAY have worn in the Civil War. He was a Cpl in 1st (9th) Bn North Carolina Sharpshooters, promoted in Feb 1863. I had always heard they would have had blue chevrons, but now am getting word that NC troops often wore black. In June 1863 he was promoted to 2nd Lt and assigned to 2nd Bn NC Infantry, again I had heard the background for the bar was blue but now hear it may have been black also. Any thoughts? I see that NC uniforms often had black trim, cuffs, shoulder flaps, Kepi trim, etc. Thanks much.

cvlwarskrm
03-26-2011, 09:19 AM
Reb,

Color of trim and chevron were usually designated by unit type. Sharpshooters were green trim and chevrons,infantry blue,cavalry gold/yellow,militia black and artillary red. this held true with only a few exeptions.

Hope this helps.

Bob Ellsworth

4th Kentucky Cav
N-SSA

William Schoenfeld, 1386
03-27-2011, 03:47 PM
Generally speaking the Confederate army tried to follow US regualations but North Carolina and Texas was a little bit different especially when it came to their infantry. For some reason both states had black trim on the infantry. The First NC Cav early in the war only had a little bit of yellow trim on their empulates (sp?) and the First VA in some of their companies had black trim on their jackets and pants. The Hampton Legion also had a mixed bag in uniforms. Some of the companies had light trim and others had a dark blue or black trim. Company E - Bozeman Guards may have had a white trim down the legs of their blue pants.

I think I also read in the "Covered with Glory" that the 26th NC Inf all had new uniforms that were trimed in black - from their hats to their pants. :lol:

Dutch Schoenfeld
Mosby's Rangers
PM Botetourt Lodge #7

jmiller
03-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Hey Reb, My father is fronNorth Bend/ Coos Bay. you guys should start a skirmish team, so I could see him at least twice a year at nationals! He is actually coming out for spring nats, you should hitch a ride!

Jim Mayo
03-31-2011, 04:27 PM
I would suggest you get a copy of Greg Mast's book "State Troops and Volunteers". It is full of pictures of NC soldiers and broken up by year however it also has one picture of a soldier in the 2nd BN and several pictures of the 1st BN, NC Sharpshooters. May help you out.