PDA

View Full Version : musket caps

falcon
03-23-2011, 02:53 PM
I have bought a Zouave rifle and am trying to find musket caps. Will any other primer caps work or where can I buy the musket caps? track of the wolf said they could not ship them and gun shops around here act like they don't know what I am talking about.

Hambone
03-23-2011, 09:27 PM
You can get musket caps at the Nationals or http://www.midsouthshooters.com but of course you will to pay the hazmat fee if you mail them. If you would let us know what area you are in maybe someone can tell you where to get them locally.

falcon
03-24-2011, 02:25 PM
I live in Russellville Ky. Thanks

falcon
03-24-2011, 02:37 PM
Can you tell me which of the caps listed on the Mid south shooters site I would need?
Thanks Bill

John Holland
03-24-2011, 03:19 PM
I just took a look at the Midsouth website and it says they'll only ship caps to a business address, which I don't understand.

You might consider http://www.blackpowderva.com/, that's where I get all my caps.

JDH

Blair
03-24-2011, 03:25 PM
I am wondering, has anybody in the N-SSA tried,

http://blackpowderva.com/

Sorry, John... you did this already.
And I live in Florida, a 900 mile drive?
I buy all my powder and caps from Jacky, even with the hazmat shipping if I can't make the trip.
Blair

R. McAuley 3014V
03-24-2011, 04:02 PM
I just took a look at the Midsouth website and it says they'll only ship caps to a business address, which I don't understand.

You might consider http://www.blackpowderva.com/, that's where I get all my caps.

JDH

John,

He shouldn't need to worry about shipping charges or a business address, he's only a hour from the Mid-South retail store at Clarksville. And Falcon, you might look at the Dynamit Nobel 4-flange caps on page 56 of the Mid-South catalog. My next trip to Fort Campbell is going to coincide with a shopping spree at Mid-South.

falcon
03-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Thanks, my daughter and son-in-law own Gun and knife country across the street from Ft Campbell and she told me today that she can pick me up some if I tell her which ones I need. Neither one of them know anything about black powder guns and this is the first Minie ball musket that I have had. I think I am going to enjoy it and may get a Enfield also. I can use all the advise I can get.
Thanks Bill

falcon
03-24-2011, 11:28 PM
Richard, I see that you live in a city that we love to visit. We spent 6 weeks there and on Tybee Island last year and in fact got interested in Minie ball rifles when visiting Ft Polaskie. Let me know when you get to Campbell and I will buy you a cup of coffee at G's pancake house. I go over and help the kids in the gun shop 2-3 times a months and steal my Grandaughter when I can.

roundball1
03-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Dixie Gun Works out of Tennessee sells both CCI and RWS musket caps. I use a lot of them when throwing round ball from my repor '42 Springfield.

Southron Sr.
03-30-2011, 02:49 PM
Dear falcon:

Back in the 1960's and early 70's, Savannah's own N-SSA's team. the Oglethorpe Light Infantry, used to sponsor a Skirmish every April at Fort Pulaski.

We always had a good turnout with N-SSA teams coming from as far away as Virginia and Maryland to shoot with us. We skirmishers also usually "took over" the DeSoto Motel on the beach at Tybee and had a fantastic time when we were not out at the fort shooting.

Unfortunately, long ago, the National Park Service decided that having a Skirmish on the grounds at Fort Pulaski was somehow wrong and now Fort Pulaski Skirmishes are only fond memories.

falcon
03-30-2011, 09:10 PM
That sure is a shame it is a wonderful place with all that history around it , I'm looking forward to going back down there this Fall.

R. McAuley 3014V
03-30-2011, 09:48 PM
Dear falcon:

Back in the 1960's and early 70's, Savannah's own N-SSA's team. the Oglethorpe Light Infantry, used to sponsor a Skirmish every April at Fort Pulaski.

We always had a good turnout with N-SSA teams coming from as far away as Virginia and Maryland to shoot with us. We skirmishers also usually "took over" the DeSoto Motel on the beach at Tybee and had a fantastic time when we were not out at the fort shooting.

Unfortunately, long ago, the National Park Service decided that having a Skirmish on the grounds at Fort Pulaski was somehow wrong and now Fort Pulaski Skirmishes are only fond memories.

Brannen, just in case you don't know where your patches are... here are some of those memories. I should have some photos of the 1975 Pulaski skirmish somewhere here.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii305/rmac1023/OLI1976a_zps29b28e71.jpg

pastore
03-31-2011, 09:57 AM
Dear falcon:

I attended the skirmish at fort Pulaski in 1972. We also stayed at the DeSoto. We had a severe case of culture shock on Sunday afternoon after we returned to the motel after the shoot when we discovered we could not buy any beer on Sunday. We did make "arrangements" with the owner to acquire some of his restaurant stock for a small fee. It was quite an experience. I came back to visit the fort in 2008, and had such a good time in Savannah that I also returned in 2009 and 2010. Saint Patrics Day is quite an experience down on River Street!

Blair
03-31-2011, 12:54 PM
I did the '73 and '74 Fort Pulaski Shoots. Stayed at a camp ground on Tybe Island. (to cheap to stay anywhere else)
At that time I was with the 1 st FL. Cav.
I don't recall if there were patches available at that time, but, It was great fun.
I remenber being very impressed with the turn out. My first Nationals was in the Srping of '73... that simply blew me away!
Sad to see Ft Pulaski shoot go by the way of the Dodo.
Blair

Muley Gil
03-31-2011, 07:29 PM
I shot in the '72 Ft Pulaski skirmish also, as a junior skirmisher with the WBR. My family was in my dad's travel trailer at a local campground. There were some WW II Coast Artillery installations there.

I was attending Auburn University in '75 and a college buddy and I went to the '75 skirmish. I recollect a member of the Racoon Roughs that was "bending his elbow" quite a bit on Saturday night. However, he didn't look so good on Sunday morning. He asked me & my buddy if he had had a good time, cause he didn't remember much. :D

Bob Matthias
04-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Wally World - Walmart usually has musket caps

R. McAuley 3014V
04-01-2011, 01:40 PM
In the late 60s and early 70s, there were two campgrounds at Tybee. One was situated across from the Tybee Lighthouse, behind the Tybee Museum, and is now a parking lot. All that is left of it is the entry gate and ticket booth. The other, River’s End Camp Ground still exists, and is located behind the Tybee Island Police Department, and is in the same vicinity as Battery Stanton used in the bombardment of Fort Pulaski, 10-11 April 1862.

Even though we were technically “locals” and lived in Savannah, my parent’s NCHA-affliated camping group used to stay at the Tybee Island Museum campground up until it closed in 1970, and afterwards at River’s End once it opened in 1971. Since 2006 the Rivers End campground has been owned and operated by the City of Tybee Island. I used to know almost every inch of the concrete (8" retractable gun) batteries of the Span-Am period Fort Screven, and even once jumped from the battery into the sand dunes some 30-35 feet below.

After my dad was finished with me, I didn’t jump from a pickup truck without asking for permission. Of course, back in the late 1930s, the beach had extended about 600 to 800 yards in front of the battery opposite the lighthouse and reached up to the outer glacis of the ramparts, such that people used to drive their cars up on the battery to picnic.

Southron Sr.
04-07-2011, 11:06 AM
I had a "Skirmish Jacket" with all of those patches sewed on it. Unfortunately, over the years that jacket has disappeared. Probably thrown out by my wife as she likes to go thru my stuff and and throw away what she THINKS I don't need. Lost $250.00 worth of Wolff springs for my Colts that way!

Thanks for the picture of those patches, they brought back a lot of good memories Richard.

R. McAuley 3014V
04-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Well, you and I (and maybe Hadaway?) are all that's left of the Oglethorpe Light Infantry who is still above ground and in skirmishing.

Walt Magee
04-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Try recobs target shop.

falcon
04-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Sorry I forgot to thank you guys for the help and a bit of history. Yes I am only 35 miles from Clarksville and I go into that area 1-2 times a week helping my Daughter and Son-in-law in there gun shop at Oak Grove across from Ft Campbell.