PDA

View Full Version : Yard sale at nationals

MR. GADGET
03-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Just got to thinking, got some moulds and leather stuff maybe other things.

Any thought to having a yard sale set up on day at the end of the shooting like say Friday 6pm someplace.
I know most people just run an ad and try to meet up with you at your camp and that can be real hard sometimes.
Was just thinking it would be cool to clear out some of the stuff that you may not really be able to sell without someone being able to put there hands on it.

What you think.

To stay in line with this being a for sale ad:
For sale
RCBS mold NSSA mini 578
like new 75$ pick up at nationals.

John Holland
03-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Jon -

I agree with you, because that's how I got to meet most of the members of the N-SSA. In the "Old Days" every campsite had someone selling something, and I'd wander around the entire grounds searching for stuff I thought I couldn't live without. You would see pick-up trucks with the tailgates down and piles of carbines on them for sale, trunks of cars open with muskets sticking out like porcupine quills, blankets spread on the ground at the front edges of campsites with more neat stuff on them....moulds, leather goods, uniforms, flags, kepis, camp gear, or just about anything else you could think of. I still remember the horrified look on my mother's face when I proudly came marching into camp, grinning from ear to ear, beating the life out of a snare drum I'd just purchased!

But, alas, most good things come to an inglorious end. The Sutlers got the ear of the N-SSA's Board of Directors and convinced them that selling stuff from campsites was evil and unfair to those who paid for a site in Sutlers Row. It made no difference that the people selling from their camps were not regular dealers, but just members, like you and me, trying to get rid of surplus stuff we no longer needed.

Here is the end result:

40.7 SALES OUTSIDE OF SUTLER ROW
There shall be no commercial activity outside Sutler Row. Commercial activity shall be defined as
setting up displays of merchandise or items for sale to the public. Private sales, such as buying,
selling, or swapping personally owned items, shall be permitted outside Sutler Row, provided such
items are not displayed as being for sale or trade to the general public. Displays of items for sale shall
only be permitted on Sutler Row.

You have a great idea with a “Members Garage Sale”. Perhaps it is time for the whole thing to be revisited. You will have to follow the chain of command to get it put in the Agenda Packet for one of the regularly scheduled Board meetings in either January, or August. Preferably August because that is when Rules are normally to be visited.

JDH

Bruce Cobb 1723V
03-22-2011, 06:00 PM
I would like to volunteer Yecks Antiques (my Sutler location) as a location so it doesn't violate any N-SSA rules, Even though the N-SSA may call us a commercial venture, John & I sure wouldn't. I would suggest a much later time on Friday such as 9pm. This time is the best time, it is past the time 98% of all Sutlers are closed so it won't bother them as they are all gone. Maybe it will actually bring folks back like it used to be. The down side is that it may require folks to donate some thing to cover a sales tax that John and I need to cover. Maybe just a donation will cover it. I'll talk to the Sutler officer when I get down there. We tried unsuccessfully last year to be a drop off point for unwanted Skimishing gear but no one took us up on it, I really hope this will work.

John Holland
03-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Bruce's Bargain Basement?

Maybe some of the old time Fife & Drum music too, that has been missing from Sutlers Row.

Seriously, a great idea!

See you soon.

JDH

MR. GADGET
03-22-2011, 09:02 PM
John,

They can look at it two ways, one is that we keep all our old stuff in our trailers and at the house.
The other way is that we can set up a yard sale that runs for a few hours on one night, sell off some of our used gear and stuff we no longer need, then carry that money down to suckers row and spend it. It may also help people that are just getting started into the sport to get used gear a little cheaper.

Who knows, I will take it up the chain of command and see what happens.
Thanks
Jon

rampa_room_artillery
03-22-2011, 10:25 PM
"chain of command, its the chain i beat you with till you understand that I am incharge."

I love that quote. lol off topic and not meant to go with this disscusion, just a good saying i thought everyone would laugh at. lol

see you later john.

bilge water bob
03-25-2011, 10:43 AM
John,

They can look at it two ways, one is that we keep all our old stuff in our trailers and at the house.
The other way is that we can set up a yard sale that runs for a few hours on one night, sell off some of our used gear and stuff we no longer need, then carry that money down to suckers row and spend it. It may also help people that are just getting started into the sport to get used gear a little cheaper.

Who knows, I will take it up the chain of command and see what happens.
Thanks
Jon
OUTSTANDING IDEA!!! It's going to take place regardless, might as well plan on it.

Ken Hansgen, 11094
03-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Bruce, Where is Yeck's Antiques located? Can I bring my extra stuff by in May? Any feedback on the 9 pm idea?

John Holland
03-25-2011, 04:17 PM
He's on the corner of the upper end of the alley that bisects Sutler's Row, and across from Logdewood.

JDH

Bruce Cobb 1723V
03-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Lets plan on it happening at 9pm on Friday evening out side of my place Yecks Antiques . No one has said anything negative, so I consider it a GO. Bruce

MR. GADGET
03-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Need to print up some signs about a meeting place, time, and swap, sale, trade, your used gear.....