PDA

View Full Version : 1860 Gallager Carbine made by ERMA in West Germany

broadarrow
03-20-2011, 04:33 AM
Hi Folks,

Just wondering if somebody can help me as I am seeking an answer to my question on my first time posting here, would anyone be able to advise on the nipple thread size on the Erma Werke repro Gallager carbine ?

Regards, PB

Richard Hill
03-21-2011, 11:18 AM
The thread size may be metric, but the US 5/16x24 thread is a good fit. The nipple I use is the type made to fit an original Smith carbine with the upper portion cut down to match the length of the ERMA nipple. S&S Firearms has Gallager nipples, but I don't know if they're for the ERMA or the original. The nipples for each are not the same.

DAVE FRANCE
03-21-2011, 02:21 PM
The nipple is probably M8 - 1.0. The old 5/16 x 24 for nipples is very close to the metric M8.. Dealers who sell nipples will have the M8. If you want to check that the nipple is M8 -1, take it to Home Depot or Lowes, and put the nipple into the thread identifier. I bet it fits.

David

Bob Huntoon
03-22-2011, 10:59 PM
There was a fellow who always set up with Bucky Malson's booth at Nationals, whose name totally escapes me at the moment - He was a top NRA and US Army Marksmanship unit with the 45 auto back in the day. He had a bunch of Erma Gallagher parts and springs. Frank .... is the name I am thinking. I believe he also shot with USIMLT.

Hope that helps.

Digger

pastore
03-23-2011, 12:15 AM
There was a fellow who always set up with Bucky Malson's booth at Nationals, whose name totally escapes me at the moment - He was a top NRA and US Army Marksmanship unit with the 45 auto back in the day. He had a bunch of Erma Gallagher parts and springs. Frank .... is the name I am thinking. I believe he also shot with USIMLT.

Hope that helps.

Digger

The guy's name was Frank Higginson

Bob Huntoon
03-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Thanks for plugging the hole in my memory!

Have no idea if he is still around, or if anyone has taken over his spot and goods for sale.

Digger

broadarrow
03-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Hi Folks

Thanks for the information in your replies, I will chase it up and see how I go,

Regards, PB

broadarrow
04-30-2011, 08:21 AM
Hi,

I have finally had the chance to shoot my Gallager and it was loads of fun. I would also like to know what accessories were used / issued with the Gallager in the way of cartridge pouches etc. can anyone help me with this one ?

Regards, PB

RaccoonRough Spence
11-22-2011, 01:42 PM
What bullets are you all using in these Erma .54 gallaghers and how does the cases fit?
I am considering buying a Erma Gallagher that has not had the barrel re-lined.........just thinking ahead.

ms3635v
11-25-2011, 08:39 AM
Pvt. Spence,

If you are going to have your Erma relined, have it relined in 50 caliber. The original Gallagers shot bullets with an average diameter of .525" with a weight of approximately 440 grains. The original Gallagers were not 54 caliber. The rifling in the Erma's are very fast.