PDA

View Full Version : Lead Hardness tester

Fauch125
03-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Any recommendations on the most reliable, easy to use, economical lead hardness tester (my criteria, in that order)? Would also appreciate a recommendation on where to purchase. Thanks in advance.
Jon Faucher 4th Va. Inf EN region
jonathan.faucher@verizon.net

Wayne Shaw, 1985V
03-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Jon I in my humble opion I think that the one made by CastingStuff is the best money can buy. Very simple, robust and priced well. I've been using mine several years and it's great. Try http://www.castingstuff.com The owner Jim is a straight shooter and will stand behind his work. The company name is Cabin Tree LLC out in Washington Hope this helps Wayne Shaw Harlan's Light Cav 1985V

Lou Lou Lou
03-15-2011, 01:33 PM
There is LBT lead hardness tester made in Texas I believe

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
03-15-2011, 03:19 PM
I own both the Cabin Tree and the LBT testers. I prefer the LBT. If you prefer the Cabine Tree, make an offer and I'll sell you mine.

The Cabin Tree will measure pieces of lead larger than 1 lb ingots. The LBT will not.

The LBT on is lighter and easier to operate. If you ever drop the Cabin Tree tester, you'll be buying a new guage - the tester is pretty heavy.

The LBT scale reads in BHN units, the Cabin Tree guage give a numeric reading that needs to be converted.

Eggman
03-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Gary -- that saying at the end, isn't that the official motto of Honeywell??

Ken Eckard
03-17-2011, 08:01 PM
I believe the skirmish line had an article about a home made hardness tester, cant remember how long ago 1 maybe 2 years ago, never tried it but it was said to be more reliable than store bought . I believe I'll dig around and see for myself also.
Ken Eckard
1st MD. CAV.

JimB
03-18-2011, 08:48 AM
Ken, you are good - it was in the Oct/Nov/Dec 2008 issue, the one with Charlie and Linwood on the cover - Changing of the Guard.
Jim Baird

Ken Eckard
03-18-2011, 05:38 PM
I always read all articles and the whole Skirmish Line as simple as they may be . Like picking up a penny, a lot of little things add up over time.
Ken Eckard
1st MD.CAV.CSA

Dominic Infante, 8359V
03-19-2011, 04:49 PM
I have a SAECO lead hardness tester that I purchased from Buffalo Arms Company for around $100 about 8 or so years ago. It is very reliable and generally easy to use. For instance, to check for reliability I have re-tested lead that I had tested 5 or more years ago and obtained the same value that I recorded originally. I have found it valuable in deciding whether to cast lead that I purchase from a salvage yard into musket, carbine, or revolver bullets.