PDA

View Full Version : Pritchett mold?

Maillemaker
03-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Does someone know who makes a Pritchett mold for the Enfield? That is, the smooth-sided Minie?

Blair
03-14-2011, 01:28 PM
Steve,

See if you can find a copy of the book, "The British Soldier's Firearm, from Smoothbore to Smallbore 1850-1864". by Dr. C. H. Roads. Chapter VI, Ammunition, pages 148- 9
may help best answer your questions regarding the two basic dia. .568 and .550 sizes of the Pritchett bullets used in the P-1853 Rifle muskets. Most important is to why these changes and were made by the Brit's. It will require some very careful reading comprehension and comparisons in various areas of the text.
It is important to note that paper patched bullets are not legal, nor is the iron or wood base plugs used in these types of bullets within the N-SSA. This might be your first consideration if you are looking to shoot within the N-SSA. (?)
Others here may have additional reading materials they may also suggest.
Blair

Maillemaker
03-14-2011, 03:16 PM
It is important to note that paper patched bullets are not legal, nor is the iron or wood base plugs used in these types of bullets within the N-SSA. This might be your first consideration if you are looking to shoot within the N-SSA. (?)

My wife tells me we don't have time for another hobby, so I probably won't be doing much N-SSA stuff - I will do most of my shooting at the local range. I just want the experience of shooting my Enfield in a historical manner as the Confederates (and the British, for that matter) did, so I want to try my hand at making and using paper cartridges as they did. However, until and unless I can obtain Pritchett bullets, I'll be shooting "naked" grooved minies anyway. I cast up a whole bunch of them this weekend.

I'm going to try to make it down to the N-SSA skirmish this weekend in Birmingham, though.

Steve

StonewallSharpeson
02-27-2013, 11:30 AM
maillemaker,
Here's a thread in the WTB section that you should find interesting: http://www.n-ssa.org/vbforum/showthread.php/6724-Pritchett-bullet-mould?p=29181&posted=1#post29181

cwbulletman
03-23-2013, 05:28 PM
I have a enfield mold that mic's out at .568
It has 2 grease groves in it.
If you like to try some I get $32 per hundred.
You can see my add in the skirmish line or under sutlers.
Regards
Pat Kaboskey

ms3635v
03-24-2013, 11:03 AM
Rapine use to make a Pritchett style mould. Maybe someone has one they would part with. The mould number was 577580. See attachment.

rmark
04-01-2013, 10:32 PM
Here's a modified rounball mould that is similar to a pritchett
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?193310-40-ML-Paper-Patch

Maillemaker
04-02-2013, 10:57 AM
Fascinating.

Also, grooveless expanding balls lend themselves to swaging very easily.

Steve

Oyvind
04-08-2013, 08:23 AM
I had Lee make batch of short Pritchett moulds about 8–10 years ago. The drawing to the right is the original. I probably have the drawings for the original mould somewhere if you're interested. While I haven't tested it thoroughly, the short Pritchett did not seem to hold any inherent advantages over the original.

http://www.svartkrutt.net/articles/bilder/pritchett/enfieldpritchett_web_stor.jpg

Smosin
04-15-2013, 12:31 PM
I have a enfield mold that mic's out at .568
It has 2 grease groves in it.
If you like to try some I get $32 per hundred.
You can see my add in the skirmish line or under sutlers.
Regards
Pat Kaboskey

PM sent about the .568 minies.

jek279
04-15-2013, 11:47 PM
It has been said before, but need more information. Some one said to use 100% Rag Vellum for the paper wading for the Enfield paper cartridge. But that was it. There are many different types of Rag Vellum. 16 pound, 17 pound, 20 pound etc. which type of paper.

robertdeans72
04-16-2013, 12:25 AM
Hi there,

Rather than going by the weight of the paper, what is really the most important part is the thickness. Get out your micrometer and visit some stores and see what you get.

This stuff is about .0025. It isn't vellum but rather rag tracing paper... I used to use it before I switched to vellum.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b166/RobDeans/Bullet%20Making/g567.jpg

This stuff is .003. It is 100% rag vellum. It is pricey but the vellum seems to perform better. I came across the use of vellum on a black powder cartridge site. They advocated for it due to its superior durability in the bore. Sorry for the small image. Its "Clearprint" brand, 1000HP.
With two wraps of paper (four thicknesses), you can then judge what size bullet you need (or what diameter you need to size your bullet to) to fit in the bore.

Rob

jek279
04-16-2013, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the information. I have two more questions Rob. What lube mix are you using with the Vellum? And since I shoot with the buckskinners with my P53, I have to use round ball. Have you ever made a paper cartridge for the Pritchett round, but substituted in a round ball instead? If so, what type of accuracy did you obtain?

robertdeans72
04-16-2013, 11:27 AM
Hi there,

Lube is shortening/beeswax with a little olive oil. I start with 50/50 and adjust for the season. As for the round ball, no, never. Totally different beast, that. Don't think that paper would work and still achieve the effect of stabilization.... Round ball doesn't expand the way a hollow based bullet does, be it Pritchett or Burton. It's unfortunate that you are hamstrung in using round ball..... You seemingly are forced to use ammunition that is historical to the era your group is representing, out of a rifle that is not, in any way, associated with that ammunition. Bit of a paradox....

Say you were to use paper instead of normal patching..... I don't think that the paper would withstand the ramming of the ball down the barrel as it is relatively tight. The paper would ruck up and break.

Now, if you want to use some sort of paper cartridge with your rifle, watch these videos and see the style of cartridge used. Paper cartridge combined with patched round ball...... Again, not historical to your rifle, or to your group, I would say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdu8piPP9NE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqz7XLkyx8Y

Not really American Civil War, I know but an answer to your question, none the less.

Rob

John Holland
04-16-2013, 04:07 PM
I always thought I should have a Baker Rifle......

Blair
04-16-2013, 05:02 PM
Great videos, Rob!

John, I always liked the Baker my own self.
The Brunswick would maybe work better into our time period. ?
I like them both.
Blair