PDA

View Full Version : Confederate Shako Headgear

Chapman's Battery
03-13-2011, 08:37 PM
Has anyone ever seen a Confederate soldier wearing shako type hat or headgear? Or ever heard of this headgear being worn during the Civil War? Thanks Rick

Tom Magno, 9269V
03-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Virginia Military Institute. They wore (and still do) the Shako headgear with their formal parade (Grey Blouse) uniform. I do not believe, however that the cadets wore it into the Battle at New Market. Period artwork shows them wearing traditional kepis.

YOU DON'T KNOW ?
03-15-2011, 01:20 PM
During the 1st days of the war the Warrenton Rifles of I believe the 15th Va. Vol. Inf wore them. It was part of their militia uniform. Which was butternut with a long frock coat. Their Capt., Last name Marr, was shot and Killed during one of the first skirmishes of the war as the Union Army approached FairFax Court House on their way to 1st Manasas. I have seen his Uniform and Head Gear in the Confederate Museum when I was in high school in Richmond Va. Lots of early militia units wore them. There are some pics of them in the time life book "Confederate Arms" (or somthing like that)

The Corps of Cadets at West Point still wear them today in Parade Full Dress.
They call them "Tar Buckets". The Cadet Officers' are very elaborate with lots of feathers etc.

ken stiles 0526V
06-24-2011, 10:29 AM
from TANNER's STONEWALL IN THE VALLEY:

"Southern uniforms, or the lack there of them, also amused Colonna. the army had grown shabby as a year of war tattered the bright attire of the previous spring. comfort rather than style was now the criteria for appearal. civilian clothes abounded. stiff boots had given way to brogues with wide, thick bottoms and flat heels. the towering bushies and shakos that adorned the ranks -- and blew off in a strong wind --- during the early days had been replaced with slouch caps. dick wwaldrop of the 21st VA ambled along in a pair of pants at least six sizes too big and with legs the size of salt sacks; he loved them , for they afforded plenty of stretching room'

Army of the Valley
May 1862"

Muley Gil
06-24-2011, 10:04 PM
The shako was part of the dress uniform for the United States Marine Corps before and during the War.