PDA

View Full Version : 1816 frizzen

varsity07840
03-13-2011, 09:54 AM
Does anyone know of someone that does half sole jobs on frizzens? I have several replacements for a lock I reconverted back to flint that wear out rather quickly.

Thanks,

Duane

John Holland
03-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Duane -

There is an excellent "Do it yourself" article on adding a sole to a frizzen in the current March/April, 2011 issue of Muzzleloader Magazine. But, I'm sure someone will step up with info on who can do it for you.

JDH

Eggman
03-13-2011, 02:42 PM
Your frizzens are not properly hardened. Stay tuned -- someone will soon advise you where to get it done or how to do it properly. I don't think facing is necessary.

varsity07840
03-13-2011, 05:31 PM
Although I've had bad luck in the past with case hardening compound, I gave it another shot today and for whatever reason, got good results. Both frizzens spark much better than before. So, for know, no resole.

Duane

ken chrestman
03-18-2011, 12:35 PM
I can help you out if you need to in the future.

Ken Chrestman,7147V
Tennessee

RaiderANV
03-18-2011, 07:58 PM
Here's the answer to all your troubles! Ever heard of the Russ Hamm Atomic Frizzen :shock:

Clickie Da linkie====> http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437541

NUT'n sparks like ah depleted Uranium frizzen!!!

John Holland
03-18-2011, 09:11 PM
Yeah, a friend and I each had them....until it was discovered that the shavings and dust they produced in the sparking process were a carcinogen ! ! !

How they did spark! White sparks that danced everywhere. You can bet we got rid of them in a hurry when we heard the bad news on them. Now I've got 3 holes where it was mounted.

JDH

Yancey von Yeast, 8073
03-19-2011, 09:42 PM
I can still feel the pain of the burns in my arm from the one that I had.... :roll:

RaiderANV
03-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Yeah, a friend and I each had them....until it was discovered that the shavings and dust they produced in the sparking process were a carcinogen ! ! !

How they did spark! White sparks that danced everywhere. You can bet we got rid of them in a hurry when we heard the bad news on them. Now I've got 3 holes where it was mounted.

JDH

Silly yankees,,,,,us Rebs fired then walked backwards ah few steps to get away from the smoke before we took that next breath. Green

John Holland
03-22-2011, 12:02 AM
Us Yankees have another name for that tactic....Advancing to the rear!

I'm sorry Pat, but you just "backed" into that one ! ! !

John

varsity07840
04-30-2011, 07:23 PM
I can help you out if you need to in the future.

Ken Chrestman,7147V
Tennessee

PM sent.

Duane

Southron Sr.
04-30-2011, 09:00 PM
How To Caseharden a Frizzen:

1. Remove frizzen from lock.

2. Wrap the frizzen in old leather (just make sure that it is REAL leather and not some modern imitation. I used some old leather boot laces.

3. Put leather wrapped frizzen in the middle of a ball of aluminum foil. Make sure that the aluminum foil is packed tightly around the frizzen.

4. Put ball of aluminum in middle of hearth in a fireplace. Build a roaring wood fire on top of the aluminum ball.

5. 24 hours later, dig the aluminum foil ball out of the ashes. Aluminum foil and what is left of leather will literally fall away from your now grey frizzen.

6. Reinstall frizzen on your lock.

I did this to a repro St. Etienne flint musket frizzen I had. The frizzen had literally almost quit sparking. After the leather/aluminum foil casehardening treatment, it sparked wonderfully.