PDA

View Full Version : wanted CCI 300 Musket Caps

Rlevin
03-05-2011, 08:48 PM
I need a hot musket cap and I understand the CCI 300 6-wing musket cap will work. I am interested in buying these. If you have an alternate suggestion for another equally hot musket cap please let me know.

Russ Levin
rlevin73@comcast.net

pastore
03-06-2011, 09:28 AM
I understand that CCI no longer makes the 6 wing caps.

ken chrestman
03-06-2011, 11:43 AM
I was told by a supplier that the "Reenactment" community has convinced CCI to reduce the strength of these caps. Surprizing to me,the reenactor muskets I have seen or repaired were in poor condition, I believe the soldiers in the field took better care of their muskets because their lives depended on them. Surely someone in the know has an update or knowledge on this subject.

I am curious is to why you think added strength is needed, usually in a clean musket/bolster there is no problem. I suggest maybe a thorough cleaning might solve the problem, if not have a competent shooter or gunsmith help you out. Post for a skirmisher in you're area to help.

Just a thought;

Ken Chrestman,7147V

stuffy25thia
03-06-2011, 01:48 PM
I like the 6-winger caps for my Gallagher, and Sharps rifle, they work 99.9% of the time. Have yet to try the new 4-wing caps.

kowdok
03-06-2011, 04:25 PM
I hate to say so, but I'm afraid the cci 4 wing caps are crap. Our team got some to try and they work in some guns and not others. I have a 2nd mod. Maynard that I lend out to a teammate who couldn't get the 4 wing cap to work, I gave him the old 6 wing caps and never a misfire. Also several guns have had the same problem, mostly carbines. I'm pretty sure that the German caps (winged and wingless) are hotter than the reenactor cci caps. Shooting my Mod 1 maynard, I had to switch from the cci 6 wing cap to the German wingless because I got tired of digging pieces of caps out of my head and it was hard to see with the blood running down my face. Have never had that problem with the wingless cap.

S.Sullivan
03-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Russ,
I have about twenty cans (100 caps per can) of the CCI musket caps that I will sell if you are still interested.
S.Sullivan

Gary B
03-09-2011, 08:10 AM
Mr. Sullivan,
If Russ does not want them I will buy them. What asking price do you have in mind ?
Thanks,
Gary B.

Michael T.
03-09-2011, 08:23 PM
I recently emailed CCI and got a reply today. They stated it was a safety reason. Do re-enactors not wear safety glasses?
Michael,

We discontinued the 6 wing caps because they sometimes lose a petal and
this is not safe for the shooter. We tested the new 4 wing cap in a
replica rifle musket and a Sharps carbine with its characteristically
tortuous vent path with now issues. I have been watching the reviews on
various web pages and I do find a few complaints like yours, but they
are heavily outweighed by the positive responses.

I would suggest that a new nipple may be in order. Even though our web
site says that a nipple with a bigger hole is desirable I would
recommend a new Ampco nipple with a small hole. The small hole
concentrates the fire and should alleviate your issue.

Regards,

Brett Olin < cciexpert@ATK.com >
CCI/Speer/ATK

Please email this person with your comments, it may be a way to get them to produce them again,If enough of us say something! Mike 4th Kentucky Cav.

Muley Gil
03-09-2011, 09:32 PM
"Do re-enactors not wear safety glasses?"

No, most don't wear safety glasses. It's not authentic.

Michael T.
03-09-2011, 09:39 PM
Must be why six wing caps are dangerous!
We still need to email CCI of our problems with four winged caps!!

pastore
03-10-2011, 08:14 AM
My understanding of the problem with the 4 wing caps versus the 6 wing caps is that it has nothing to do with the number of wings. The complaint I hear is that the 6 wing caps
will fire the gun and the 4 wing caps will not. Does CCI think that the primary users of musket caps are reenactors. If the change from 6 wing to 4 wing was about the 6 wing
caps shedding a wing why is it that they used to work and now they don't.

Michael T.
03-10-2011, 02:29 PM
That is the impression I got from their email. The four wing caps are marked "Re-enactors" . I just wonder if the N-SSA made enough noise we might get somewhere. Everyone I have heard doesn't like them, I shoot with the 4th Kentucky Cav. and they seem to be the choice- 6 wing that is..Brad uses them and2 other types.. Mike Brad's father-in-law.

Ken Hansgen, 11094
03-10-2011, 05:18 PM
The wingLESS caps seem to be pretty darn hot, and they're more authentic, I think, too. I've seen a bunch of wingless caps in the CW museum in Winchester, VA, that had been brought up from a sunken blockade runner. Why not try them (and let the marketplace be the guide for CCI)?

Michael T.
03-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Just being frugal,prices on CCI caps are usually lower than what I see the other brands sell for,Gander Mountain carried them and it is convienent. Do not where to purchase other brands. Suggestions?