PDA

View Full Version : A Leveler for the Carbine Match

Eggman
03-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Well my "Maynards for all" idea has seemed to have hit a stone wall in the form of some hard core Sharps shooters who are obviously bound to continue their pain and suffering. That still leaves us with the dilemma of how to level the playing field for carbine competition. Then I had another brainstorm.
Last night, I occupied the evening by lining my empty cartridge case holder with rabbit fur. By doing so I created a perfectly insulated soda can holder for use on the firing line during the team matches. So while those unfortunate muzzleloader folks are futilly waving their ramrods in the air, and the Sharps shooters are frantically trying to pry their frozen breach blocks open, I can take time out to enjoy a cool, refreshing Coca Cola. I'm thinking that to even things out the N-SSA board may want to make Coke breaks mandatory for all Maynard shooters.
Now if anyone has a comment please do not bring the Almighty into the discussion. While we know He has a sense of humor (look at Obama), not everyone in the N-SSA does.

RangerFrog
03-03-2011, 02:22 PM
... or you could saddle them with damaged cones (nipples) so the cap's fire would all go where it was supposed to, and then they would have the reliability of a lesser arm, say a Smith or a Gallagher. Still better than a Sharps or other one of that ilk, though! Green

Let the flames begin! Darn, this is fun on a cold day!!! :lol:

Froggie

Jim_Burgess_2078V
03-04-2011, 12:38 PM
I don't really want to be drawn into the debate on the virtues of the Maynard vs. the Sharps. My unmodified Shiloh Sharps does reasonably well with open sights. I'd likely be even more dangerous if it was legal to put a tang sight on it like on the 1st model Maynards. I just want to thank everyone here (God included) for keeping me entertained at lunchtime. Good thing the skirmish season for many of us near the Fort is now just a week away.

Jim Burgess, 15th CVI

Edwin Flint, 8427
03-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Jim,

We are already into the Skirmish season down in the DS Region. :D Our next skirmish is about 2 weeks away. Weather was very nice for our Feb. shoot.

I would like to see us add one in January. Glad you boys are getting back in harness. :P

I have better since to get into the maynard/Sharps debate now that religion is now a part of it. :roll:

Ken Hansgen, 11094
03-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Ed, First, YOU MUST BE KIDDING! A skirmish in January??!! Why, it might be cold then, even in the Deepsouth Region. It might even be freezing! Why, we might be unable to feel our caps!!

Second, That must just be a typo (since)--it made more sense to spell it s-e-n-s-e.

DAVE FRANCE
03-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Your messages about early spring skirmishes reminded me of something I saw on the BB a few years ago.

there was a message about the snowball skirmish. the next postage was by someone with one of the common French names in South Louisiana. (I used to live there.) the message was in French and commented on how stupid people were to shoot in the snow. (I hope one of you remember seeing it.)

The next message was from someone else with a Cajun French last name and it was in French also. The second message was just agreement with the first and it contained the french word for fools.

I didn't see any message after those two. Do you remember seeing it? I thought it was pretty funny.

AuRevoir!

David

Ken Hansgen, 11094
03-05-2011, 11:21 PM
Dave, I didn't see those messages, but I have shot when my fingers were too cold to feel the caps, and I didn't like it. Also, I can understand why Northerners wouldn't want to drive to the South to shoot in winter, when they might have to return home to a snowstorm. The rest was tongue-in-cheek.

DAVE FRANCE
03-06-2011, 12:07 AM
Ken,

I've shot when the weather was in the 20s, and I didn't like it. It is surprising how many people will do that. I've shot at round ball shoots, in a little winter league of people who shot either M1 carbines or AKS carbines right through the winter, and I shot at an N-SSA practice when it was in the 20s and snowing.

I used to go to the upper Peninsula of Michigan for vacations. I was there for the 4th of July and had to wear a goose down jacket. It was in the 30s.

Sometimes in Michigan it will be pretty cold in June or in August. I shot at a few skirmishes when it was about 40 degrees and raining. Some in June and some in August. They have fun shoots in Michigan around the end of April sometimes. There was one I did not go to a few years ago, and friends told me the weather was so bad that almost everyone left.

I have shot about ten times in January, february, and in March this year in Texas. I went to a silhouette Lever Rifle match today and it was in the forties in the morning but got into the 60s by about 2 pm when we finished. I didn't have to wear gloves to shoot. I had a lot of fun.

I would rather have 100+ temperatures for a month or so, that months of winter.

One SUMMER a few years ago I went into a restaurant in Florida. Everyone spoke French and I realized they were from Quebec in Canada. when I got back to work in Michigan, I asked one of the canadians I worked with how they could stand the heat in Florida in the summer. He said they didn't care how hot it would get because they just were sick of the winters in Quebec.

I know this is long but I want to tell you some funny things Europeans told me about Michigan. A French boss of mine told me the 1st winter he was in was the coldest winter he had ever seen. And the 1st summer was the hottest he had seen.

An English engineer asked me why americans lived in Michigan. I explained that to him, and I asked where he thought everyone should have settled. He said the Southest. He told me that he was taught in History in england that the English settled in Virgiania and New England by mistake. they settled in Viriginia that was at about the same latitude as Spain, but it was colder in Virginia than in Spain. Same for New England at about the same latitude as England, but much colder.

Au Revoir!

David

Ken Hansgen, 11094
03-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Dave, Like you and that Quebecuois, I too would rather be hot than cold. Brrrrr! BTW, at our skirmish in central AL a week ago, altho' it was rather cold at first, everyone was shooting in shirtsleeves later in the morning.