PDA

View Full Version : Looking for two cavalry items

Joe Plakis, 9575V
03-03-2011, 08:59 AM
Looking for two items, alot of people offer them at various prices. I will be honest really cheap scares me, and really expensive does not always mean top quality in our country anymore. So I was wondering if anyone had any opinions or even used equipment that they might be willing to part with.

Looking for:

Wide belt with carbine clip, type with a brass buckle. This is the type that you wear around your body for use on a horse. Not the post CW boot type.

Leather Sword Belt Black or Brown, for hanging a cavalry sword.

Scott Lynch 1460V
03-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Joe I have the carbine sling that goes around the body it is unused, black with brass fittings and the swivel with roller and snap hook. I bought it from Tommy Johnson (Cavalry Shop) about 10 yeas ago I paid $50.00 for it.

Pearson
03-03-2011, 11:22 AM
If you want top quality, at a reasonable price, try Nick Duvall at Duvall Leather works. His carbine slings are $55 without a snap hook. The sabre belt is $140 and is the best I've seen. Spot on for originals, I have both as well as a saddle from him. You won't be disappointed spending your $$$ there.
Mike Pearson

R. McAuley 3014V
03-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Joe,

Not to detract from these other gents’ offers and suggestions, several vendors offer carbine slings, some with or without the snap hook and link. You might try (in ascending order) Blockade Runner [$34.95 for belt sling with repro snap hook]; Regimental Quartermaster [$42.50 for belt sling plus repro snap hook included]; Tommy Johnson [about $55-$60 for belt sling plus repro snap hook included]; S&S [$37 (and $75 with the proper inspection stamps) for belt sling plus $18.00 for the repro snap hook]; Dixie Gun Works [$34.50 for belt sling plus $19.95 for the repro snap hook]; Fall Creek Sutlery [$39.95 for belt sling plus $19.95 for the repro snap hook]; and C.D. Jarnigan [$110 and up for black belt sling with repro snap hook]. Most of these same vendors also offer the cavalry saber belts (some even offering the brass snap links), but make sure it comes with the shoulder strap as some do not.

Joe Plakis, 9575V
03-03-2011, 02:32 PM
I have seen the prices already, I am mostly looking for opinions.

Scott could you email me at JosephPlakis @ Comcast .net

Ben McGee
03-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Hello.

Nic Duvall is the best. Well researched, handmade in the U.S. All the other vender sell paki-made junk for slightly less.

Ben McGee

dcwilliams29id
03-09-2011, 11:57 AM
+1 for Nic Duvall at Duvall Leather Works. No comparison - best in the business. For cavalry, between Nic Duvall and Stuart Lillie for tack, you can't go wrong.

My .02