PDA

View Full Version : Greg Eddington

Dan Mastin
03-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Does anyone have a current phone number for Greg Eddington? I have some Austrian gun questions.

Dan Mastin
11th Indians

Dan Mastin
03-04-2011, 08:00 AM
BTT

John Holland
03-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Dan -

Haven't heard from Greg in a LONG time, also heard he was no longer a member.

You might try posting your questions here. There are quite a few people here who may be able to answer your Austrian arms questions. One of the foremost is Mr. Don Dixon who has been very helpful and generous in supplying Austrian arms information to those who have requested assistance.

JDH

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
03-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Dan,

I occasionally see Greg post on Facebook, but haven’t seen him post here in quite some time.

Dan Mastin
03-05-2011, 03:00 PM
What I'm really looking for is a source for .54 Wilkerson mold or suggestions on what bullet would work best in an 1854 Jagerstutzen.

Dan Mastin
03-05-2011, 03:50 PM
btt

Don Dixon
03-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Dan,

Which Jägerstutuzen; an original Austro-Hungarian (k.u.k.) Army rifle with original bore in ".54" caliber, an original k.u.k. Army rifle with Federal bore in nominal .58 caliber, a k.u.k. Army rifle relined, or one of the Arms Moravia rifles imported by Dixie?

Arms Moravia/bored out/relined: Greg Edington's bullets, either the .54 caliber Wilkinson two compression groove or the single compression groove "picket" bullets, work VERY well in the Dixie imported rifle, sized .001-.002" under bore size. Greg's .58 caliber bullets work VERY well in .58 caliber arms; again sized .001-,002" under bore diameter. Greg is out of contact, and I don't know of anyone making these moulds now. They are occasionally advertised on this board.

Original k.u.k. Army Muster 1854 Jägerstutzen in ".54" caliber: Although referred to wrongly in U.S. literature as ".54" caliber, the k.u.k. Army ordnance standard was 13.9 mm (.547-8"). So, they were actually .55 caliber. Consequently, Greg's .540" bullets are too small for the bore, and no one has made a properly sized reproduction mould in modern times. Paper patching Greg's bullets works, but its against N-SSA rules to shoot paper patched bullets in N-SSA competition. The only "naked" bullet that I have found that works well in the range of original k.u.k. Army rifles is from the mould that Pedersoli makes for their model 1858 "Mauser" rifle. That mould casts a .547" Minie type bullet. Your mileage may vary.

Lubrication is critical with Wilkinson bullets. Use MCM. The compression grooves are NOT lubrication grooves. If you fill them fully with lubricant, the bullet can't compress properly and accuracy is unimpressive.

Regards,
Don Dixon
2881V

John Holland
03-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Don -

Thank you for taking the time to reply to Dan's question.

JDH

Dan Mastin
03-07-2011, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the reply Don. I have an original and a repro, I'm planning on working up a load for the repro. Now if I can just locate a Wilkerson mold...................

Dan

Dan Mastin
03-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Both guns are in .54 cal so I need a .54 Wilkerson mold.

dan