PDA

View Full Version : A Really Great Idea: Maynards for ALL

Eggman
02-25-2011, 03:02 PM
My recent experience has convinced me of the vast superiority of the Maynard over all other carbines seen in the N-SSA. From a moral standpoint it is really not fair for anyone to have to compete against these materpieces of firearms engineering. Therefore I have come up with an idea to level the playing field once and for all -- buy Maynards for everyone.
How can you do this you might ask? Well it's simple; simply levy a small fee as part of the annual membership obligation - say $50 per year. In the meantime a contract would be let with Larry Romano to produce 3,500 Maynards. I'm sure Larry would provide a great price on each rifle for an order this large. As the guns are finished they would be issued to the members according to membership number. Since many of the newer members likely do not have Maynards, and many of the older members are too feeble to raise any firearm, I would suggest beginning at the exact midpoint of the membership list, i.e., at membership number 7786.
I believe that this is a really doable plan and hope the Board takes up this matter as soon as it can.

S.Sullivan
02-25-2011, 04:07 PM
PJ, is that you hiding behing this monikker?
S.Sullivan

Scott w/1st Fla
02-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Egg, You are insane :shock: The Sharps is a much better carbine :roll:

red leg
02-25-2011, 10:26 PM
I like your idea,-- BUT I WOULD BE SATISFIED WITH JUST AN ORIGINAL MAYNARD HAMMER --HELP --REDLEG

GOD
02-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Egg, You are insane :shock: The Sharps is a much better carbine :roll:

GOD: THAT DOES IT!!!

GOD: Peter,,,,,,,PETER!! WAKE UP!

Peter: YES GOD!?!?

GOD: Fetch Thy GREAT BOOK.

PETER: Got it right here GOD. Where shall I turn to in Thy GREAT BOOK.

GOD: The S's,,,,,,,,,drop down to H-A-R-R-I-S. Scott.

Peter: OK,,,,,found it. Looks pretty clean so far.

GOD: I know that. Place an extra large black mark in the last column.

Peter: Ahhh,,,,,,,,,,the last column GOD?!?!

GOD: YES Peter,,,the last column.

Peter: But that's the Blasphemy column for an irreverent or impious act, attitude, or utterance in regard to something considered inviolable or sacrosanct GOD.

GOD: Ya don't say. OF COURSE IT IS!! NOW PLACE THY MARK!!

Peter: Done GOD. Ya know,,,that makes two Scott's an ah Jim on that list now. Just what did they do GOD?

GOD: ALL had unkind words for Thy MAYNARD carbine!

Peter: {gulp} That makes two yanks & one Reb now. Whoda thought ah Reb GOD?!?!

GOD: Peter,,,,,,,one more thing.......look back and see who did that to Thy MAYNARD on that Gunbroker auction as well and place another mark!

GOD: Eggs,,,,,keep up they good work!But thinking maybe the yankees should pay a tad more. For all that "reconstruction" scam ya know.
Steve,,,,,,I AM that I have a handle on this. Pj is sitting this one out.

RaiderANV
02-26-2011, 05:27 PM
DANG I MISSED IT!

Scotty got in trouble! Scotty got in trouble!!

Shor' hates ta be Scotty right now. :shock:

GOD
02-26-2011, 05:29 PM
PJ!

HackerInTheFrontRow
02-26-2011, 05:38 PM
PJ got in trouble. PJ got in trouble :lol:

DAVE FRANCE
02-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Dear Eggman,

I believe the Maynard is an outstanding design. But, for everyone in the N-SSA to want one, it would have to have some of the characteristrics of the Sharps Carbine. Primarily the stock. The Maynard really needs a forearm, a heavier barrel, and a better rear sight.

David

AMB
02-26-2011, 11:09 PM
I believe we should put in for a Federal Grant and call it the N-SSA Stimulus Plan! Why pay for it ourselves? In the meantime, I'll stick with my vastly superior Merrill. :D

kowdok
02-28-2011, 07:09 AM
Eggman
See what you've started? All because you were caught drooling on Jim and Martys Maynards. Give em hell PJ, uh I mean God.

RangerFrog
02-28-2011, 10:37 AM
Dear Eggman,

I believe the Maynard is an outstanding design. But, for everyone in the N-SSA to want one, it would have to have some of the characteristrics of the Sharps Carbine. Primarily the stock. The Maynard really needs a forearm, a heavier barrel, and a better rear sight.

David

David,

OK, I was sort of nodding along with your statements about a fore arm (probably needed) and a heavier barrel (maybe needed if one wishes to shoot full power loads, otherwise not) but then you got into the rear sight comment! Until long after the "recent unpleasantness" there WAS no better rear sight commonly available than that tang sight on the first models. :!: Maybe a rear barrel sight ala the 2nd Model carbines had would be good for running pigeons or combat shooting up close, but other than that, the Maynard tang makes a fine battle sight for aimed fire. It could be improved, but not while staying period, IMHO. The only possible substitution I can imagine would be the gallery type sight from the Ballard to make adjustment easier and give a better eye piece, but I'm not sure even that would be period. :?:

As far as I am concerned, if they had been supplied in sufficient numbers, with sufficient ammo, the Maynards could have changed the tide in favor of whichever side had them in virtually any battle of the War. If George Patton had lived a couple of generations earlier, he would have proclaimed the Maynard the "greatest battle instrument ever invented." I may be a little prejudiced, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Green

Froggie

Lou Lou Lou
02-28-2011, 11:27 AM
I have established the fund control point to contract and purchase said arms. All we need is a donation from Eggman to get it started. $25,000 should be enough to out fit a team. With 200+ teams, a mere $5M will put us over the top

DAVE FRANCE
02-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Dear Mr. Frog,

I humbly apologize for my comments about the Maynard rear sight. I agree if the Maynard had been manufactured in great volume, it would have been a war winning firearm.

Kind of off the subject. If rifles and carbines that could be fired faster had been available, they would have been a big advantage regardless of the need to supply more ammunition to the troops. If the rate of fire could be doubled or quadrupled, more men could have been transferred to hauling ammunition and other supplies. Imagine Gettysburg with the Union army supplied with rapid firing single shot rifles.

Again, kind of off the subject. A book I read last year said that Grant was very good at taking care of the soldiers supply needs. Some generals treated ammunition supply needs as low priority.

David

GOD
02-28-2011, 08:11 PM
If George Patton had lived a couple of generations earlier, he would have proclaimed the Maynard the "greatest battle instrument ever invented." I may be a little prejudiced, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Green

Froggie

GOD: You have redeemed yourself of any marks in Thy GREAT BOOK my Frog. Now go in peace. With my, errrr, I mean your Maynard

I humbly apologize for my comments about the Maynard......

GOD: And DAVE repent and all was good. And,,,,,,,ahhh,,,,,OK,,,, Hey Peter, Turn Thy GREAT BOOK to the F's and find Dave. REMOVE Thy black mark as he has seen my light :idea:

DAVE FRANCE
02-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Thank you God,

Does this mean I am forgiven for that thing with my boss's wife when I lived in the French Quarter ?

David

Eggman
03-01-2011, 10:27 AM
To Lou Lou Lou -- if you read my plan closely it provides for $175,000 start up money.

Lou Lou Lou
03-01-2011, 11:31 AM
I didn't think you could afford that much seed money. :D

Eggman
03-01-2011, 12:45 PM
If you read closely Lou Lou it's everybodys' money. Kind of like a commune.

Eggman
03-01-2011, 03:05 PM
My apologies to everyone for sounding like Hugo Chavez. I meant to say "like in a progressive society."

Lou Lou Lou
03-01-2011, 07:31 PM
I was just pulling your chain. Goodnaturedly, of course :lol:

GOD
03-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Thank you God,

Does this mean I am forgiven for that thing with my boss's wife when I lived in the French Quarter ?
David

GOD: Dave,,,,,,If your truly heart felt sorry for this transgression you have made,,,,,,say a few dozen Hail Mary's, throw in ah couple Our Fathers and buy a Maynard carbine, only then you shall ye be forgiven! OH,,,,only have PJ work on it and buy spare part from him as well

Scott w/1st Fla
03-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Hey PJ or whoever you are calling yourself these days... I will buy your target at the Earlybird and you and your maynard can go up against me and my Sharps.... :wink: Just gotta do it early cause I'm shooting the revolver match. :P

Michael T.
03-02-2011, 03:34 PM
A few of your fellows on these pages find the person using "GOD" for his handle to be objectionable could it please stop.
Respectfully Michael T. Hall 4th Kentucky 12670

John Holland
03-02-2011, 04:11 PM
After some PM’s, E-mails, and phone calls, both pro & con, perhaps it is time to address the issue of the “GOD” postings on the Bulletin Board/BB. Most of us have taken it in stride with a chuckle, fully understanding that it is intended as “Humor”. A few others have expressed varying degrees of displeasure with it. To this I say, calm down, and look at the poster’s “Profile”. It is not some anonymous poster, but an N-SSA member who has a generally mirthful view of life. I give credit to the person who placed the post for having called me, at the outset, to explain that the whole posting was done “tongue-in-cheek” and to reinforce that no offense was intended towards anyone.

I will ask everyone to just take a step back, draw a deep breath, exhale slowly, and get back to the business of skirmishing. The N-SSA is the most unique shooting sport in the world. Enjoy it for what it is and what it represents, a tribute to those men and women of the American Civil War who shed their life’s blood for what they believed in to make this the great nation and bastion of freedom that it is today.

Sincerely,
John Holland