PDA

View Full Version : Lube to make a smoker round

danajhanson
02-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Is there a bullet lube formula that creates a "smoker round"? or is a smoker considered a tracer?

17.2 PROHIBITED PROJECTILES
The use of multiple, separating, tracer, incendiary, or explosive projectiles is prohibited. Ramrods and cleaning rods shall not be intentionally fired as projectiles.

RaiderANV
02-21-2011, 08:22 PM
Some shooters only lube the inside base of their bullets with Crisco to keep the fouling soft and quite often this leaves the smoke trail.

ian45662
02-21-2011, 09:24 PM
I am not sure you could even see the smoke round though could you?

Bill Weitz
02-22-2011, 10:26 AM
I tried lubing the base once and it made no difference. It seems you see a lot more smoke trails in the morning when its humid. I guess this dosen't help you much does it.

danajhanson
02-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Would a petroleum base grease or motor oil, added in with say MCM lube make a smoke trail?

matt
02-22-2011, 06:25 PM
Only times i have ever noticed a smoke like trail was watching others shoot from an oblique view I lube my bases of minies with crisco and have never seen a smoke trail on any of mine ive shot but have seen other teammates have what appears to be a noticeable trail. This does seem to happen in the mornings when it is cooler than say later in day during the 100 yd event.
Matt
Winslow's Battery 9775v

Joe Plakis, 9575V
02-22-2011, 11:19 PM
I would figure the rule is pretty clear that such a round would be illegal. As for the smoke trails that are visible, they are usually not visible to the shooter due to the big "puff" of smoke at the end of the barrel.

I would figure the time wasted on figuring out how to make a legal "smoker" round could be better served practicing.

DAVE FRANCE
02-22-2011, 11:24 PM
It might be dangerous also. If something that generated smoke left some hot material in the barrel it might cause the next charge to ignite. It only takes a temperature somewhere around 500 degrees F to ignite black powder.

David

RaiderANV
02-23-2011, 12:07 AM
I would figure the rule is pretty clear that such a round would be illegal.

Can you point to the exact line or word that would make the topic illegal?

It's pretty clear it's not intended to be a tracer/incendiary round and doesn't resemble nor have even close to the principles of one neither. It just happens to leave a lil' smoke under the right conditions.

Joe Plakis, 9575V
02-23-2011, 12:56 PM
The basic principle I think would be covered in "tracer." The rule is written to disallow dangerous bullet types as well as ones that give a competitive advantage. The fact that you are attempting to create a bullet that smokes every time to me classifies as a tracer. Just my interpretation.

Edited for spelling

Southron Sr.
02-23-2011, 12:59 PM
Geeze!

"Smoker/Tracer rounds?"

Do we really need MORE smoke at Skirmishes???

Dominic Infante, 8359V
02-23-2011, 03:48 PM
Several years ago when I was line judge at a skirmish I noticed that the team captain's musket round was producing a nice trail of smoke, the best tracer I had ever seen. I asked how he accomplished this and he said by adding some jet engine oil to the melt when making lube. I do not know where to obtain such an oil, but since one of his team members owned an aviation company, I imagine he had a ready source.

DAVE FRANCE
02-23-2011, 07:18 PM
That makes sense.

I think the common way of making smoke for ships and on cars was to inject oil into the exhaust gas.

I believe real tracer ammunition uses something at the rear of the bullet that burns.

David

Southron Sr.
02-25-2011, 04:44 PM
I have a bit of an aviation background.

My understanding is that "Jet Engine Oil" is nothing more than a high quality, aviation grade, synthetic oil.

Ken Hansgen, 11094
02-27-2011, 08:57 PM
Smells just like kerosene to me.