PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Musket Lube, MCM equivalent & availability

ead
02-21-2011, 02:06 AM
Does anyone know a commercial lube that's as well thought of as MCM for accuracy and number of shots before having to patch the bore and also where to buy it at a reasonable price?

Greg Ogdan, 11444
02-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Try GBS lube and get it from Miami Valley Sutler.

John Holland
02-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Greg -

I had the opportunity to try GBS on my Ballard ammo in the Single Shot Team Match at the Fall National....and I must thank Tommy Robey again for generously giving it to me from his own personal supply. It worked just fine, I'm sold on it now. It didn't change my shooting though, every target I missed was still my fault!

JDH

DAVE FRANCE
02-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Greg and John,

I think the lube I use is okay, but if you think the GBS lube has an advantage over other lubes I might try it. I am starting to shoot in matches at 180 yards and 200 yards with cast bullets and with black powder.

I have noticed that many Black Powder Cartridge rifle competition shooters think the lube is very important and think SPG is the best. I tried SPG years ago and could see no advanatage.

I appreciate your opinions.

David

Art Moore-10th Mass-06643V
02-21-2011, 01:29 PM
If you would like to mix up some lube , consider this:

Several years ago Bill Nolze of 69 th NY gave me a recipe for what he called Miracle Lube. It is 50:50 Beeswax and Virgin Olive oil. I have used it for years for my musket and for smokeless powder loads for my 11 mm Mauser G 1871. It is easy to mix. Start with a pyrex glass measuring cup, add a chunk of bees wax and place in a double boiler ( a pot with several inches of water in it ) and heat under moderate heat until water is boiling gently. When the beeswax is melted , check the volume and add the olive oil in the same amount ( ie. 4 0z of melted beeswax -add 4 Oz more of olive oil). That will solidify some of the bees wax , so continue heating until all melted. At this point you can pour it in a lubrasizer or what ever. Works great and is much cheaper than commercial lube.

Good Shooting, Art Moore

DAVE FRANCE
02-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Thank you Art,

I know some people use bees wax and olive oil. One of my friends who shoots in another type of competition with cast bullets and black powder told me that SPG is the same as what you describe.

I use Mobil One and bees wax and that seems to work well. But I will try out your suggestion.

David

ken chrestman
02-21-2011, 06:00 PM
I use Lyman Black Powder Gold. I spoke to the R&D guy for Browning when they introduced their version of the Winchester M 1885 BPCR HiWall in both 45/70 and 40/65, which I have. This lube shoots well for me, I bought several sticks up front but I recall seeing it still available, maybe at Buffalo Arms.

Regards;

Ken Chrestman, 7147V

ian45662
02-21-2011, 09:28 PM
60% beeswax and 40% mobile one synthetic motor oil. I use it in my front stuffers and a trapdoor. Trapdoor groups are under 4" @ 200 yards so The lube seems to work alright for me

DAVE FRANCE
02-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Ian,

That is exactly what i have used for the past few years.

David

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
02-22-2011, 07:35 AM
I love GBS lube. Switched from SPG, and found it works well in all the firearms that I skirmish with.

Phil

Greg Ogdan, 11444
02-22-2011, 09:08 AM
Dave,
I have a very good friend who shoots black powder cartridge in SASS and was using SPG. I gave him some MCM to try and he has never looked back. Granted this is not long range, but it may be worth a look.
I personally still use MCM because it is simple and works well for me.

ead
02-23-2011, 01:47 PM
I just want to thank Greg, John ,David, Art, Ken, Ian and Phil for all of this great info.

May God bless you all

DAVE FRANCE
02-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Phil,

I rember you used to use beeswax and jet engine oil. Is the GBS better than that, and if it is, what is it that you like about it.

It is easy to read something wrong. I'm not being sarcastic, I honestly would like to know.

Thanks!

David

DAVE FRANCE
02-26-2011, 11:30 AM
I wish I had started a business years ago for selling a bullet lube at a high price that was made from two inexpensive ingredients.

In the 60s a friend of mine's wife worked for a company that sold a rubbing lotion. It was popular in Louisiana. I saw the local plant that was located in the garage of a house. The rubbing compound was a mix of rubbing alcohol (coming from one barrel) and another common chemical from a second barrel. The two chemicals were measured out from a mixing valve into the bottles.

They had several garage plants in the state to keep their shipping costs down.

DAVE FRANCE
02-26-2011, 11:30 AM
I wish I had started a business years ago for selling a bullet lube at a high price that was made from two inexpensive ingredients.

In the 60s a friend of mine's wife worked for a company that sold a rubbing lotion. It was popular in Louisiana. I saw the local plant that was located in the garage of a house. The rubbing compound was a mix of rubbing alcohol (coming from one barrel) and another common chemical from a second barrel. The two chemicals were measured out from a mixing valve into the bottles.

They had several garage plants in the state to keep their shipping costs down.

tmont
03-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Some interesting reading for a novice like myself. Wondering about the beeswax/Mobile 1 formula, do any of you use that in a lubrasizer by chance? I admit being on the lazy side and sure would love to consolidate the lube/sizing process into one step. Thanks in advance.