PDA

View Full Version : Need List of *Authentic* CSA Handguns

LeMat1856
12-01-2008, 10:49 AM
hello one and all -

a friend of mine is trying to collect 1 of every actual (no "in-the-spirit" creations) revolver and flint pistol used during the civil war by any and all units of the csa - only.

being as i'm pretty much a beginner in all this, i thought at least one of you n-ssa people would know this like the back of your hand.

can i get a little help in making a list for him ?

he has:
LeMat .44
Rogers & Spencer .44
Spiller & Burr .36

and wants to get as many more as possible, which might also be an opportunity for someone selling one of the more unusual items to meet a potential buyer.

i'll check back in a few days with more questions and comments. feel free to pm me if needed.

thanx,
~daniel~

Wayne M Clark
12-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Daniel,
May I suggest a copy of "Flayderman's Guide to antique american firearms...and their value.. Rogers and Spencer is not one of them.
W. Clark

Ken Hansgen, 11094
12-01-2008, 11:33 AM
I guess that means he wants CAS-MADE handguns. That would rule out Colts, Remingtons, and Starrs, as well as R&S's, I've read, however, that Nathan Bedford Forrest favored Colt Navys for himself and his men--even bought and Smuggled in several hundred early on.

Dixie Gun Works offers a Uberti-made Leech & Rigdon, as well as replica Spiller & Burrs and Dance & Bros. revolvers.

Ken Hansgen, 11094
12-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Just remembered my copy of "Firearms of the Confederacy" by Claud Fuller & Richard Steuart. My copy is a reprint published for the NRA as part of The Firearms Classics Library, copyright 1996. Anyhow, Part II lists quite a few pistols & revolvers, including those manufactured within the Confederacy.

And BTW, my post above should say "CSA-MADE."

RangerFrog
12-01-2008, 04:11 PM
How about the Griswold & Gunnison? Wasn't that from Atlanta???

Mike w/ 34th
12-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Is he looking for original guns, or "authentic" reproductions?

-Mike

LeMat1856
12-03-2008, 05:44 PM
. dec 3 / 2:30pm

great suggestions. i'm looking for the books on amazon or ebay.

"How about the Griswold & Gunnison?" my question also. i have a .44 "sheriff" based on the g&g, but there has to be an original if you're going to base it on something, right ?

"original guns, or "authentic" reproductions".... both. however, it is highly unlikely that we will find originals in a realistic price range, so the reproductions will have to do.

most desirable are the lesser known and fewer produced models. probably only the lemat fits both and he already has that, so i'll have to look at Flayderman's Guide and Firearms of the Confederacy for all the details.

many thanks to everyone. see ya' on the line sometime,
~daniel~

barrett
12-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Found this list online- I don't think it's complete, as none of the Richmond manufacturers are there- Barrett, 7th Va Infantry

Georgia-made revolvers

Griswold & Gunnison, also known as Griswold & Grier Brass-framed copies of the Colt Navy 1851
Leech & Rigdon and Rigdon, Ansley Steel-framed copies of the Colt Navy 1851
Spiller & Burr Brass-framed copies of the Whitney
Augusta Machine Works Steel-framed copies of the Colt Navy 1851
Colombus Firearms Manufacturing Company Steel-framed copies of the Colt Navy 1851

Texas-made revolvers

J.H. Dance & Bros Steel-framed copies of the Colt Navy 1851
Steel-framed copies of the Colt Dragoon 1849
Tucker & Sherrard, later Clarck & Sherrard Steel-framed copies of the Colt Dragoon 1849

European-made revolvers

Le Mat 9 rounds + 1 shot barrel
Kerr Sidehammer british-made revolver
Lefaucheux 1854 Pinfire 12 mm French revolver
Liège-made revolvers

Revolvers made in the Confederacy, however not on military contract

Cofer Brass-framed copies of the Whitney, spur trigger, percussion & cartridges
Schneider & Glassick Brass-framed copies of the Colt Navy 1851
L.E. Tucker & Sons Steel-framed copies of the Colt Navy 1851
Sisterdale Steel-framed copies of the Colt Navy 1851, top strap, only 6 made

Sgt3rdCo
12-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Putting together a representative collection of Confederate weaponry is an excellent project. We did a similar project in N Nevada & used it with The Nevada Civil War Volunteers to educate school classes & at historical displays.
Try using a copy of:
Gary Wiggins
Dance & Brothers: Texas Gunmakers of the Confederacy
or
William Gary
Confederate Revolvers
By following the illustrations, I was able to make a $20-at-a-fleamarket-abandoned-kit-project into a plum-browned Schneider & Glassick and am working on an Augusta Machine Works 12-stop. (It's difficult finding a shop that will machine on a cylinder, even when assured it is for display, only.)
Larry

Ken Hansgen, 11094
12-10-2008, 12:26 AM
Here's another reference that may help. Just saw this one at the Nashville CW Show last Sat: "Confederate Handguns" by Wm. A Albaugh III, Hugh Benet, Jr. & Edw N Simmons. Broadfoot Publishing Co, 1963. ISBN 1-56837-261-2. It was For sale for $35 from Jim Mundie Books, 4027 Platt St, Kenner. LA 70065 Tel. 504/469 4459, or JimMundie@aol.com.