PDA

View Full Version : Remington Rolling block in .43 Egyptian

David Lapell
02-11-2011, 07:10 AM
I know where there is a Remington Rolling Block in .43 Egyptian that has a bore that is mint, and the gun over all is in excellent condition. I know I can get stuff through Buffalo Arms to reload all my own ammo. I can't find any loading info on it though, and what this gun is worth. The seller wants $650, but he has been trying to sell it for a long time, so I am thinking of offering him $500 to see what he does, but only if it is worth it.

Jim Brady Knap's Battery
02-11-2011, 08:03 AM
You can find a couple of loads using IMR 4198 in Barnes' Cartridges of the World.

Jim Brady
2249V
Knap' Battery

Southron Sr.
02-11-2011, 09:43 PM
IF you do get that RB then I would suggest you take a chamber casting. I recall reading an article where the gentleman that owned a RB found that the chambers were cut long so the rifle could be fired when it was dirty with powder fouling.

After he found the correct length cartridge cases and used the correct diameter bullets, he began getting excellent accuracy.

So not to be in violation of the BB rules, I presume that the .43 Egyptian RB you are referring to was issued to one of the Egyptian soldiers that fought in The Battle of Five Forks in Virginia. As recent research has revealed, during the last days of the war the Egyptian government signed a secret treaty of alliance with the Confederacy and provided some troops.

Bruce Cobb 1723V
02-16-2011, 08:38 PM
$500 - $550 is a good price if you asked me.

Eterry
03-14-2011, 12:26 AM
David, I was thumbing thru my Richard Lee book on Reloading and its list loads for the 43 Egyptian. It says that it took 45-70 loads and reduced them by 10%. That is the only source I have seen of extensive load data for the 43 Egyptian. I complared the cartridges and they are pretty close, the rim diamater and thickness is less on the 45-70, otherwise you could resize them and use them. You might try if you dont have a ready source for brass.

Years ago I went to a marine prop shop and was standing around while the owner worked on my prop. I gazed up in the rafters and saw a rolling bloack in fair condition. My heart raced as I asked the owner about it, but he said he wasnt ready to sell it. I went back a year later for more work but he had changed his mind and sold it. It was a 43 also, and he sold it for a song. I'd love to have one, but so it goes.

Eterry

Jim Brady Knap's Battery
03-14-2011, 07:55 AM
There is abosolutley no comparison between a 43 Egyptian and a 45-70. Not even close. The base and rim diamater of the 43 Egyptian is massive compared to the 45-70, 45 Danish, 50-70, 12mm Swede, 43 Spanish, 43 Reformado, or any other cartridge that the rolling block is found chambered for except perhaps the 58 Berdan. Be careful. I was told about an Egyptian that blew up on a guy. When I was shown a sample of the ammo it turned out to be 43 Reformado who's 45 caliber brass covered bullet was way oversized for the 446 bore and the cartridge base was way under the Egyptian chamber.
Be very careful and make sure of what you have there. You can get bullets, brass and dies for just about any of the old black powder cases so there's no reason to shoot something that almost fits. Spend a few extra bucks and treat well both the rifle and your own self. Some limited loading data can be found in Barnes' Cartridges of the World.
Rolling Block's are good, accurate and strong when fed safe and proper loads but people do destroy them and get hurt shooting the wrong ammo or something some one else told them was safe. Be sure of what you are sticking in the chamber.

Jim Brady
2249V
Knap's Battery

Eterry
03-21-2011, 12:50 AM
I recently was on another forum that caters to cast boolit shooters and several members had posted on there of forming 43 E cases from 348 Win cases. I compared the 348, the 43 E, and the 45-70, it seems the 348 would be an easy conversion. I admit that no-one mentioned using 45-70 cases for conversion so I guess I will retract that idea, I guess I got a little excited. Although it seems in the dark recesses of my brain that the 45-70 was the parent case for the 348....maybe not ????

But as far as the original post, LEE's reloading manual has loads for about 10 bullet styles and weights, using several different powders. If you need data PM me.

Eterry