PDA

View Full Version : "Top Shot" Sharpshooters

pittguy12
02-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Did anyone else catch the latest episode of Top Shot on the History channel the other night? The first challenge was to use a "Sharps Breech Loading Rifle" to mimic the entry requirements for Berdan's sharpshooters during the Civil War (I believe it was a 4" bullseye at 200 yds). After reading a little on the net, it appears that they were actually using the 1874 model and not anything directly related to the actual war.

Even though they got the rifle wrong, it got me thinking a little more about what the "real" civil war sharpshooters and what they had to do to get into the unit.

I found a portion of an article done by Harper's Weekly who interviewed Berdan at an exhibition...

"Some idea of the rigidity of the test may be gathered from the fact that no man is admitted who does not shoot, at 600 feet distance, ten consecutive shots at an average of five inches from the bull's-eye. That is, the aggregate distance of the whole ten shots must not exceed fifty inches. Not a man is accepted under any circumstances who varies a hair-breadth from the mark. Remarkable though it may seem, many of the men exceed this proficiency. Colonel Berdan himself has, on a windy day, with a strange rifle, put ten balls within an average distance of one inch and one-tenth each from the bull's-eye, at 600 feet. At 1000 feet the Colonel made a string of 22 inches. Sergeant-Major Brown, under more unfavorable circumstances, made a string of 33 inches, or a little more than three inches each ball, at a distance of 100 yards, with a strange rifle."

That's pretty decent shooting. Especially the 1000 ft 22" string...quite impressive. I suppose the 100 yd requirement is similar to our hanging tiles (although ours are slightly larger) but going 10 / 10 is pretty good and certainy better than I could do.

Anyone know more about these requirements?

dml1296
02-11-2011, 02:38 AM
I watched it and noticed the same thing. For the sake of brevity and fairness to the shooters they had to use a cartridge rifle.
I'll have to watch the beginning of the rerun, but it looked like there were two different rifles used.

They could just as well said that type of rifle was used by the buffalo hunters and been a bit more accurate.

The blue team didn't make a very good showing. It seems that the hotshot pistol shooters don't do that well on camera. :wink:

Jim_Burgess_2078V
02-11-2011, 12:15 PM
I could be wrong but my understanding is that when Berdan's men took their preliminary markmanship test they could use any rifle of their choice (did not have to be a M1859 Sharps) and they could either shoot the target at 100 yards (300 ft) in the off-hand position or the same target at 200 yards (600 ft) off a rest.

Jim Burgess, 15th CVI

Don Branch 12592
02-12-2011, 08:45 PM
On the show they said it was a ten inch bull at 200 yds.

Terry Davis 10639
02-19-2011, 01:47 PM
I watched it and noticed the same thing. For the sake of brevity and fairness to the shooters they had to use a cartridge rifle.
I'll have to watch the beginning of the rerun, but it looked like there were two different rifles used.

They could just as well said that type of rifle was used by the buffalo hunters and been a bit more accurate.

The blue team didn't make a very good showing. It seems that the hotshot pistol shooters don't do that well on camera. :wink:

I guess they figured the little Civil war camp they had set up for a backdrop was more interesting. I didn't hear them claim the rifle shown, was used in the war, just that that the sharps rifles played a well known role. A little hollywood slight of hand.

The challenge wouldn't be as bad if you get a couple of sighters. But, if as they imply, you simply walk up never having fired the rifle before and have to hit a 10" bull at 200 yards with one shot, it is a challenge.

Fauch125
02-19-2011, 03:52 PM
Another error this week. Text claims the Thompson model 1919 submachine gun had the WWI nickname the "Anihilator". I assume they meant WWII

John Holland
02-19-2011, 04:46 PM
For anyone who may have missed the original airing of the Sharps episode and would like to see it can do so for the next 3-4 days on HULU via your computer at http://www.hulu.com/top-shot

JDH