PDA

View Full Version : Building a Trap Door Carbine

bobanderson
02-09-2011, 06:39 AM
I have this itch for a Trap Door Carbine, so I decided to build one, from scratch. I've got a barreled action,
breech block and ejector so far.

I'm looking for other parts, specifically a stock I can cut down, a lock assembly or parts, a buffington sight,
a butt plate and a barrel band.

If you have something laying around collecting dust and want to sell or swap, let me know.
Whatever I can't get now will probably be laying on a table on sutler's row, right?

Jim Brake 3587
02-09-2011, 12:07 PM
I've got a full length (repo)stock if you're interested. 50.00 plus shipping............Jim Brake

bobanderson
02-09-2011, 02:03 PM
That sounds good. Please send me a picture at bobanderso@gmail.com.

If it looks OK, I'll buy it. Any idea what it will cost to ship?

fullertc
02-13-2011, 06:59 AM
That does it! I'm going to rechamber my Spanish Rolling Block to .38-55 and we can shoot gongs or BPTTA at Washtenaw and chickens up to Alma. Again, Bob is helping me spend my money...

bobanderson
02-28-2011, 07:36 AM
Well, thanks to Jim Brake for a stock. Also thanks to Alan Pichan for a trigger plate.

Jim Weber loaned me a book with all of the specifications and dimensions for a carbine,
so I know where to cut and how much.

The serial number on my action dates it in 1884. By my reckoning, I still need...
- a lock,
- a tang
- front and rear sights (not sure which style there, but the barrel is drilled for a buffington rear sight)
- a butt plate
- a barrel band
- maybe a saddle ring and some action screws.

I'm going to try to build this with somewhat authentic to the year of manufacture parts, but since its
primary purpose is to be a Heinz 57 mixmaster shooter and not a collectors item, I'm not going to be too picky.
If anyone has ever had a chance to shoot at Black Powder Through the Ages at Washtenaw Sportsmans Club
in Ypsilanti, MI, then you know exactly what this gun will be very cool for.

If you have some spare parts lying around, send me a note.

Hang in there. Winter is almost over. I expect the snow will be gone in Michigan sometime
by about mid-June or so.

marv762
02-28-2011, 04:39 PM
I have a buffington rifle sight that you could have for $60.00 shipped if interested. It does not have a "C" on it for the carbine model. Marv

bobanderson
02-28-2011, 06:32 PM
Thanks, Marv.

I hadn't decided what sight to use, but since my project started life as a rifle, the barrel is already drilled and tapped for a Buffington sight. Since this will eventually have the front sight regulated to shoot at breakable targets, a rifle sight should be OK. Do you, by any chance, also have the screws?

I'm interested. Can you send me a couple of pictures? My email address is bobanderso@gmail.com

Bruce Cobb 1723V
03-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Bob, I have parts, pm email me.

bobanderson
03-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Bruce,
Just sent you an email. Thanks.