PDA

View Full Version : Welded or brazed bolster?

GPM
02-07-2011, 12:46 PM
I picked up an early Antonio Zoli zouave barrel some time back and later learned about the welded vs. brazed bolster on these. This one is serial number 599, looking at the bottom of the bolster, where it meets the barrel, I can see a circular discoloration in the metal underneath the bluing, so I think it's welded. Since I've never seen a brazed one I'm not sure what it would look like. I see nothing around the bolster that is colored like I would expect for a brazed bolster. Is it safe to assume it's welded, or can someone tell me what to look for?

efritz
02-07-2011, 03:53 PM
GPM

I have one with a brazed bolster. My brother bought the Zouave back in the 60's when they were the only repro available. He's 5 years older than I. I shot it for a while in the 70's (shot great too) ignorant of the fact about brazed bolsters. Upon finding out I ceased using it. Back in the 80's I approached Navy Arms with the barrel. I was told they didn't make any. I said I must have a rare specimen because I have one to which it was confirmed by the individual. I don't know the s/n as I don't have it in front of me. It's probably safer to assume yours is brazed rather than assume it's welded until you can have it confirmed. If you clean the area around the bolster with a wire brush and it comes up a shiny yellowish at the seam, I would assume it's brazed.

Hope I've helped.
Eric Fritz
149th PVI

toolmaker251
02-07-2011, 07:13 PM
I don't know exactly how much pressure a 58 cal with a 450-500 grain bullet and 40-50 grains of bp is building, but many shotguns including Perazzi shotguns that I use are brazed. There is a tenon machined on the breech end of the barrel the length of around 3". This is silver soldered into the monobloc assembly, and are proofed at around 18,000 psi. SAAMI maximum psi on 12 ga. 2 3/4" shells are about 11,000 psi. Many of the olympic Perazzi guns have a million + rounds down the tube and are still functional, Maybe someone has data on the 58 cal loads.

Bruce Cobb 1723V
02-08-2011, 02:55 PM
the navy arms guns were not the problem ones. the gold rush marked ones are the ones you have to look carefully at.

John Holland
02-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Don't forget the infamous repro Zouaves with brazed bolsters imported by ......Hy-Hunter.....that were NOT made by Antonio Zoli.

JDH

toolmaker251
02-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Have there been any cases where the bolster blew off the barrel?

Francis J. Miller Jr, 02601
02-08-2011, 08:58 PM
toolmaker 251,

This same topic came up a couple of years ago. Took a little bit of searching, but I found it. Below is a link to that subject. The answer would be yes on bolster separation. Read the 4th reply posted by Bill Shuey.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8995 (http://n-ssa.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8995)

GPM
02-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Gentlemen, I appreciate the help. With the bluing intact I cannot tell if it's brazed (which might be a good thing). I'll remove some bluing from beneath the bolster this weekend and report back what I find.

Blair
02-09-2011, 02:05 PM
GPM,

My understanding of this issues has more to do with the original impoter/maufacture than anything else.
Gold Rush Arms imported under the Manufacturer of Bernadelli most specifically. There maybe a few other American companies involved, but, it is the Bernadelli made guns that are those in greatest contention.

These arms "marked" with a "W" on the bolster, designates "welded" (meaning not brazed) are approved by the N-SSA.
To my knowledge, A. Zoli made "Zouave" and Mississippi Rifles are not involved in this controvery.
I, of course, could be wrong, and I'm open to any corrections persons may have.
Blair