PDA

View Full Version : Hand worked button holes

ken chrestman
01-30-2011, 08:12 PM
I am in need of instructions here to do button holes by hand, I recall an excellent illustration but a search turned up no match. How difficult is it to do? Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Ken Chrestman, 7147V, FEC Tennessee

joe leisch
01-31-2011, 02:33 PM
do a search under " instructions for hand made buttonholes "or try
e-HOW.com

Mike w/ 34th
03-30-2011, 02:27 AM
Amazingly, I found a picture of how to do it in the Webster's Dictionary under "buttonhole stitch".

Basic method, working from the front of the garment, start at the top of the buttonhole at the end away from the fabric edge. "Cast on" by making a couple whip stitches, then start working your way around the buttonhole. Slip the tip of the needle through the buttonhole and out the front of the garment, about 1/8" from the edge and 1 or 2 threads over from the previous stitch. As the tip of the needle comes out of the fabric, pause and wrap the thread from the previous stitch behind the needle. Pull the needle through and pull the thread taught. That will put a little knot in the thread right at the lip of the buttonhole. Make them close enough together, and you will have a very sturdy buttonhole.

Work around the end of the buttonhole closest to the edge of the garment, so you get a rounded opening, and then flip the garment upside-down and work back to where you started. Once you get there, there are different ways to end the buttonhole. Some garments worked around this end in a circle, too, making more of an oval buttonhole. Others used a bar tack or a few anchor stitches there to make a buttonhole that was more keyhole shaped.

When you're finished, push the needle through to the inside of the garment and tie off the thread with several stitches, and bury the loose end in the fabric. Never cast off with a knot, since it will rub against you when you're wearing the garment.

Good luck,

Michael

Maryanne F. Greketis
05-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Mr. Chrestman,
There is a wonderful little book called "The Lady's guide to Plain Sewing" By A Lady, ISBN 0-9640161-0-9. It gives instructions and detailed line drawings on basic stitches (running, back, overhand etc.) and includes hand worked button-holes and worked eyelets. I would highly recommend it.
Regards,
Maryanne Faeth-Greketis