PDA

View Full Version : Platinum (sp) lined nipple ?

ken chrestman
01-22-2011, 01:51 PM
I have the thought that a lined nipple for musket shooting might help with erosion of the flash hole. I usually replace nipples each year normally but I am interested in results from skirmishers who might have tried them.My target rifles benefit from lined nipples, however musket presures are less.
Any thoughts would be appreciated, or am I wasting my money.

Thanks in advance;

Ken Chrestman, 7147V

Ken Hansgen, 11094
01-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Your spelling of platinum is correct. Don't have any experience with such nipples, however.

R. McAuley 3014V
01-22-2011, 06:40 PM
I have the thought that a lined nipple for musket shooting might help with erosion of the flash hole. I usually replace nipples each year normally but I am interested in results from skirmishers who might have tried them.My target rifles benefit from lined nipples, however musket presures are less.
Any thoughts would be appreciated, or am I wasting my money.

Ken Chrestman, 7147V

Platinum lined nipple cones are available for like the Whitworth (both 5/16"x18 originals and 5/16"x20 repros) but they are wee bit pricey.

http://www.peterdyson.co.uk/acatalog/WH ... ories.html (http://www.peterdyson.co.uk/acatalog/WHITWORTH_RIFLE__parts_and_accessories.html)

DAVE FRANCE
01-24-2011, 03:30 PM
I know platinum is similar to gold and is used in catalytic converters of the exhaust system of cars and trucks.

What property does it have that makes it a good choice for lining a nipple?

David

Mike McDaniel
01-24-2011, 03:48 PM
Platinum is extremely hard and corrosion resistant. Basically, a platinum-lined nipple or touchole liner will last a VERY long time.

Joe Hepsworth used to have them made up for the Long-Range team, but with his passing, I don't know of a source in the United States. There are a couple of gunsmiths in Europe I'd trust to make them.

dml1296
01-24-2011, 06:13 PM
Platinum line nipples are useful with small bore (.40 to .45) rifles because of the high pressure created in shooting a big charge of powder behind a heavy for caliber bullet. A .45 Gibbs can burn out a steel nipple in as little a 35 shots. A platinum lined nipple will generally last several thousand shots with normal loads. I doubt that kind of pressures are created in rifled muskets. You can buy a lot of AMPCO nipples for what one platinum lined one will cost.

I have read about tungsten carbide lined nipples, but have never seen one.

AMB
01-24-2011, 07:53 PM
Anyone who shoot a Burnside has experience with these. While the cone (nipple) is not Platinum lined, the flash hole in the breechblock is. I have never seen a rusty one!

hp gregory, 9128
01-25-2011, 02:43 PM
with the lower pressures a musket creates you may very well beat the top of the nipple up way before you burn out the platinum liner. also longevity depends on the powder you use. swiss 3f is very hot compared to goex. i have found that 3f swiss powder will wear out a nipple much faster than 3f goex when equal loads are used.
hp