PDA

View Full Version : Maynard tape primers

hwaugh
01-21-2011, 04:34 PM
This may be a little absurd, but does anyone know if Maynard tape primers could be reproduced for shooting in an original 55 musket? I am not suggesting that they become legal in the N-SSA, but rather available for general shooting. I sure would like to try firing one of my 55 muskets with a roll of primers inside the lock. I know originals would probably work but I hate to destroy a roll of caps on target shooting. Any tech people out there that could shed some light on the possibility of producing rolls of caps for shooting?

Eggman
01-21-2011, 04:52 PM
This is a little off of what you're asking but I have one of those tiny little Manhatten revolvers with the Maynard priming system and ONE NIPPLE. I did an experiment one time with old fashion cap gun caps to see if they would work. I had to narrow up the roll of caps so they would fit inside the cap chamber, and had to hand feed the roll placing the business part over the nipple, but it DID FIRE each time. By the way the Manhatten also does not have a cylinder advance (one of the problems caused by bumping up against Sam Colt's patents), just a little button release on the underside of the frame. Ossawatamie Brown had these little revolvers at Harpers Ferry. No wonder he lost.

wormey
01-23-2011, 05:48 PM
There was a how-to article in the American Rifleman way back when, that covered how to fabricate Maynard tape primers. I will try and see if I can find it and let you know. It can be done if you have the patience. I don`t know how well they work as the originals didn`t work particularly well either. :)

hwaugh
01-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Thanks...I appreciate your efforts.

Harry Waugh

wormey
01-23-2011, 10:25 PM
If this doesn`t identify me as an "old fart" I don`t know what will. The piece I was referring to is on page 65 of the Feb., 1960 issue of The American Rifleman magazine! The writer, identified as Thomas E. Wessel of Whippany, N. J. describes making Maynard Tape primers from 12 inch lengths of starched linen strips 5/32 inch wide and use :D 2 paper caps glued back to back. Spots are spaced 1/4 inch apart. Spots are glued to a thin tissue strip with another tissue strip glued on top. The tissue strips with the cap spots are then glued to the linen strips. When dry, the whole strip is coated with shellac. Lots of work, but if you want to try them bad enough you`ll give it a go. Report back on your project. Wormey

hwaugh
01-24-2011, 09:30 AM
Wormey, I'll keep you posted if I have any success. Again thanks for the info.

Harry

BADSHOT
01-24-2011, 11:40 AM
This is Rascus, I'm experimenting in my kitchen, almost got it perfected, I'll let you know how it works!

hwaugh
01-24-2011, 11:48 AM
Rascus, the last time you were "experimenting" in the kitchen Daisey Mae ended up giving birth to the little red headed child running around at your place. I think you would be far better off doing research before you experiment.

BADSHOT
01-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Not quite there yet, I guess we put a little too much nito on the paper, Goat boy cmae in with his smoking pipe, and blew the pipes off the kitchen drain, we'll get this perfected yet, may take a few more days!
Your Pal, Rascus.

Eggman
01-30-2011, 05:27 PM
Once you guys perfect this and go into production give us a holler, OK??

John Holland
01-31-2011, 11:01 AM
Eggman –

There’s a few things you have to know about these boys. They're a bit…ahhhh…well, shall I just say…different? They’ll start off on a worthy project, like the current endeavor of recreating Dr. Maynard’s fulminate roll caps. Then they’ll blow up a few things, which they’ve already accomplished, inadvertently of course. Someone will get hurt, usually not too seriously, probably just scorched. Their hair usually grows back, in most of the spots anyway. Each project is a learning experience. Such as, the walls of their work shop are now hinged at the top! They learn right quick, too! I mean after all, no one’s lost an eye since they discovered they could use Grandma’s reading glasses for protecting their eyes, instead of just burning ants to a crisp in the summer. They discovered that by accident when one of the kids was wearing Grandma’s reading glasses to see how big it made his eyes look. Just then there was yet another “failed experiment.” When the smoke cleared the only things that weren’t burned off the kid were his eyelashes that had been saved by Grandma’s glasses! Another time, they spent a whole summer trying to create a new breed of “wingless fly.” It was a catch & release program. You can imagine how it worked. Their thoughts were such that if they released enough breeding pairs back into the wild there would soon be a new breed of fly that they could just stomp on rather than chasing them with a fly swatter. They had a very personal interest in that project because one of their trucks draws lots of flys. Then, every once in awhile just to be nice to those hard working boys, Daisey Mae will bring out a pan of her infamous “brownies”, made from a secret family recipe dating back to the mid 1960’s. After consuming those the boys will most likely forget, again, which project it was that had captured their attention.

And so it goes with the “Ongoing Adventures of Hwaugh & Rascus.”

JDH

hwaugh
01-31-2011, 11:33 AM
Rascus -This John Holland guy reminds me alot of that antique firearm expert Juan Hollandaise who helped identify that old matchlock musket you found in the cave near your old house. You remember when the archeologist all came and looked over all the things in the cave and decided that these things were from the Lost Colony of Roanoke. Yeah those were the days. Me thinks we should have held onto that stuff instead of trading all that old junk for that three legged horse ole Runny Riggs gave you. I wonder what ole Runny did with all that stuff? Whatever happened to that three legged horse anyhow?

Ron/The Old Reb
01-31-2011, 12:57 PM
I Think they ought to make a TV series or at least a movie. :roll:

Michael T.
01-31-2011, 06:54 PM
Sounds like a couple bad cases of cabin fever, can't wait to hear "you have one minute to snap caps" Mike 4th Kentucky Cav.

William H. Shuey
02-01-2011, 11:51 PM
I gotta ask. Are those Maynnard tape primers anything like the roll caps we used to get way back when we were kids and posessing a "Hubley cap pistol" was our fondest dream??

Bill Shuey

John Holland
02-02-2011, 12:15 AM
Bill....Quick answer....Yep ! ! !

JDH

Bruce Cobb 1723V
02-08-2011, 03:02 PM
can daisy mae make up some brownies in time for da nationals?

hwaugh
02-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Ole Bruce was askin' fer some of me Daisey Mae's special brownies. It sure is funny that Ole Bruce thought of them thar brownies. In fact as we speak me Daisey Mae is preparing a double batch of them brownies. Ya see we is a openin' a Bakery and home insulation shop. We is back on the farm and me Daisey Mae done quit working in that message parlor back in town and we needs to git back on our feet again. Daisy Mae sure did make alot of money at that thar message parlor. She sure had a way with them customers who kept coming back and asking fer me Daisy Mae, but she done missed her little ones too much by working all night. So we done figured that we could put Daisey Mae's talented hands to work making goodies to sell to all our friends who have always been askin' fer those special brownies. I done told me Daisey Mae that is was about time she started sellin' them brownies instead of givin' em away. So we is about to venture into the small business world makin' goodies and insulating houses. I done hired two hispanic midgets to get up into those crammed attics to lay down that insulation and I am convertin' my old honey wagon I used when I was in the septic tank and out house cleanin' business. I done rigged up the truck to blow instead of suck and I plans to blow lots of insulation in the homes of all them rick folk back in town. I done got a small trailer that I's hooked to the old poop truck that now blows instead of sucks and me Daisey Mae is selling here brownies from the trailer as we go from house to house in town. We is also sellin goodies at our shop back home. I gots the older red haired child a mindin' things while we is on the road. The red haired young'n keeps the shop open and watches the blond headed young'n and the black haired young'n. Business has been slow so far fer me, but me Daisey Mae is doin' right well with her bake shop goodies. I may have to diversify me business to keep a goin' If'n yous a gots any ideas on how i can best makes money with me insulation business and me converted honey wagon and my two hispanic midgets I would be much obliged fer your help.

Your friend,

Rascus

Eggman
02-11-2011, 04:47 PM
What is the status of these pellets? I'm ready to buy. Shooting season is upon us. Insullating season is over.