PDA

View Full Version : What is the easiest way to reassemble the Henry rear sight

DAVE FRANCE
01-13-2011, 12:30 PM
My rear sight was made by Greg Clark, but is the same as the Uberti sight except for being more precisely made.

I took mine apart and put it back together recently to change it so I don't have to have the scale up for use at 50 yards. I got the spring and bearings back together, but there must be a better way. A couple ways I can think of would involve changing one wing of the base very slightly, and it would not be an obvious change. But, I don't want to suggest that to anyone.

Recently I made several pictures that should help in reassembling the Henry and a description of how I do it. Plus I added a couple pages about how the Henry works. I enjoyed doing it.

David

majvret
01-16-2011, 10:26 PM
Where did you get the Greg Clark Sight? I have a navy arms Henry, like everything but the rear sight which is poor. Would like to get a better one, any suggestions where to get one? Thanks Dave

DAVE FRANCE
01-16-2011, 11:34 PM
Hi,

Some of he subtlers sell his sight for the Henry. Probably Bill Osborne has them.

I have 2 numbers that may help. The number I have for Greg is 734 428 0756.

If you cannot get him, call his father, 734 428 7569. If his number has changed, just put a message on the BB asking for someone to tell you.

The one that came on my Henry was not too bad, but the one from Greg is much better.

David

devisser
01-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Don't ever take it apart........

DAVE FRANCE
01-18-2011, 04:50 PM
That was the first thing I thought of. But, I had a good reason and I did it. And I got it back together, but it was a pain. I could do it easier by changing the base slightly. So one side didn't extend as far forward. Then put the sight in the base, just enough so that one side could have the bearing and spring put into it from the side that is still clear. Then put the bearing in the altered side. And hold the bearing down with something, and slide the altered side in.

Sound easy, but I was hoping for an easier way.

David

Wayne Shaw, 1985V
01-18-2011, 06:04 PM
Dave Several on Harlans found that using the spring binder clips. The ones that are black spring steel and have the folding ends . work real well.Using a little grease to hold the balls on the spring ends expand the clip over the sight and let it close very carefully. with the sight in the clip you can position the clip in a way to slide the sight into the base. It does take some pratice and a few spare balls If you loose the spring you can get one from a disposible lighter that ran out of gas. usually enought for two springs. Hope this helps. Wayne Shaw Harlans Light Cav 1985V

DAVE FRANCE
01-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Thank you Wayne,

What a clever idea!

David