PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice in purchasing my first Musket

neilh
01-09-2011, 07:50 AM
Good morning,
Help, What is the best value in a Musket.
Several questions come to mind.
1. Euroarms or Armi sport (quality)?
2. Accurate to period?
3. Springfield, Enfield or Zouave?
4. Accuracy?
5. Three band or two?
6. Comfort to the shoulder?

Thank you
Neil

Lou Lou Lou
01-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Where are you located.
The best advice is to find a skirmisher near you who will let you see what fits you best. Not everyone is comfortable shooting an enfield. Then you have the 2 band vs 3 band issue. For the most part, all can be made to shoot. But if you arent comforatable doing it, you may not shyoot as much.

Just my two cents

Muley Gil
01-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Lou is giving good advice.

Please post where you are located and I'm sure you will find a skirmisher near you that will let you shoot and try out a few different guns.

My first BP rifle was a Zouave and I shot it pretty good (I was 16 at the time). My buddy was in a N-SSA unit and his dad gave him an original Tower Enfield rifle musket. I found that I shot his musket better than mine. Took me a long time, but I eventually got a few Parker-Hale Enfields: 3 band, 2 band and musketoon.

Other folks don't like the fit of the Enfield and shoot much better with a Springfield.

As mentioned, some shoot the 2 band rifles better than they do the 3 band rifle musket.

Good luck with your search and happy shooting!

neilh
01-09-2011, 01:28 PM
I am located in Chico, California.
Cell number 530-624-8507.

We have had some reenactments in the north state but no skirmishing that I am aware of.

Thank you for the help,

Eggman
01-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Just to amplify on what the other guys said, be sure to check out the feel of an Enfield before you buy one - it's a very strange sensation for some folks. Most N-SSA dead eyes seem to lean toward two banders - less weight to hold out there. Another very important factor is sights. The Springfields/Zouaves have the rear sight set way back close to the eye creating a difficult sighting problem for folks over forty. The usual solution is installing a peep.
Wasn't there once a California based Civil War skirmishing organization??

williamslaybaugh
01-09-2011, 05:52 PM
You should check out the Blue and Gray Skirmish Association www.blue-gray.us (http://www.blue-gray.us) if your interested in a civil war musket. They are located in Northern California and have a range they shoot at a few hours drive from you. I'm sure one of there members lives closer to you and could offer some better hands on insight. If your just looking for competitive black powder shooting there is a lot more frontier/buckskin or round ball organizations and cowboy action is very big here in California.

Ken Hansgen, 11094
01-09-2011, 07:11 PM
I'll second that tip about the Blue Gray Skirmish Ann. (this is an offshoot of the Civil War Skirmish Assn). They do some of their skirmishes now at a range near Woodland. I used to live in the Sacramento area and got my start in BP shooting with them. My mentor was Rich Luthi who lives in Galt (Uncle_Rich@msn.com) and their Commander is Cleo Fry who lives in Livermore or thereabouts (CLFry@juno.com). You'll enjoy it!!

RaiderANV
01-11-2011, 03:28 PM
The Blue Gray's website is www.blue-gray.us (http://www.blue-gray.us)

Civil War Skirmish assoc. http://www.redbeardsranch.com/civil_war_skirmish.htm

pittguy12
01-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Hey...I was in your same boat about a year ago. I just got into skirmishing myself. You are in the right place...

Everyone so far has been right in what they said. I, unfortunately, had to go the route of the budget plan. I like the way a parker hale ($600) shot but price was had to go with a Zouave ($300-$400). The zouave barrel is a little heaver anyway but especially with the extra 6" of a 3 band, I felt like it was pulling the gun down when I shot...so I went with the 2 band.

(Prices I mentioned are what I found when I looked, there are deals out there)

As I found out as well, no matter what you get, it takes a little work to shooting right. It's not a modern rifle, you will need to get the right bullet size and powder charge coupled with a little working of the sights. Your best bet is finding one used that is already set up for you.

Good luck!