PDA

View Full Version : Loads for Henry Rifle

Rlevin
01-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Can we use reduced smokless loads for the Henry rifle. It would save a lot of cleaning. Anyone out there that can recommend a load for a Navy Arms Henry??

Thank you,
Russ

Lou Lou Lou
01-08-2011, 10:51 AM
No. All arms used in the N-SSA are fired with Black Powder only.

Rlevin
01-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Thank you!

Jim_Burgess_2078V
01-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Lou is correct. If you use a bullet with adequate grease grooves and a good lube designed for black powder (SPG, beeswax/crisco, etc.) you should not need to clean between relays. Of all the guns I shoot in N-SSA competition, the Henry is the easiest to clean because it doesn't have to be disassembled. It takes me only about 10 minutes to put a few wet patches down the bore, followed by a few to dry the bore and one to coat the bore with oil. Cleaning the fired cases is a little more involved but the tumbler does the majority of the work.
Jim Burgess, 15th CVI

Gary B
01-10-2011, 02:55 PM
A .45 cal. Bore Snake works great between events, very fast !
Gary B.

matt
01-14-2011, 07:54 PM
I have started to use the Mav dutchman bullet which is a big lube design in the henry and it really has worked well for me. I do not shoot reduced loads so i needed a bullet that holds lots of lube as the rapine bullet did not do it for me. My load is 30 grains of 3f compressed with no wad, flash holes drilled out with #41 drill bit and magnum lg pistol primers the brand makes no difference to me. On the muzzle i get a very nice star shape lube deposit with this bullet where with the rapine i got hard dry fouling, clean up with the henry is a snap the one thing i do do is put a patch over the carrier to catch any debris and soak up some of the cleaning solution. I am shooting 44-40 , but have a big lube bullet for 45 colt that works great also. The molds are 6 cavity and once up to temp they like to be hot for all cavities to fill works great and ive cut my casting time down by more than half. www.biglube.com (http://www.biglube.com)
Mack
I have no connection with this vendor other than using and liking his products.

devisser
01-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Has anyone tried using the Lyman #429667BV (44 mag) 240 g bullet in the Henry? The reason I ask is that it has more lub rings and would be a more stable bullet. I use in in my 92 with smokeless powder and was wondering if anyone has experimented with this bullet with the Henry and Blackpowder.

DAVE FRANCE
01-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Yes I have used it. It is the sort of bullet for use in Henrys (and similar rifles).

It is a good choice for use in a Henry.

David

Yancey von Yeast, 8073
01-16-2011, 11:31 PM
I use the 429667 in my Henry and it has proven to be the bullet for me! My barrel is Hoyt Lined and I don't know what twist. I shoot 34 3fg goex. At 50, it shoots one ragged hole from the bench. For primers, I have been using standard Remington large pistol. It holds a good amount of lube. I have tried soft lead and 1/20 tin lead mix and the difference in group size seems to be less that 1/8" which I deem to be not statistically significant.

devisser
01-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Thanks for all the information. I was thinking of using the 240 gr bullet because it had more groves to hold more lub and was a longer bullet but was unsure of the pressures. As for lead, I usually keep it simple: pure lead or wheel-weight. When the weather warms up here in the northeast, I will do some testing as I have notice that shoting in cold weather does effect the lub.