PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate "Theoretical" Smoothbore Solution?

ead
01-02-2011, 12:30 AM
I attended a cannon shoot competition 25 yrs. ago, where I witnessed the astounding accuracy of a 3 inch bore smoothbore cannon attaining 6" groups at 200 yds. I inquired as to the secret of what I considered to be amazing accuracy for a smoothbore and they had no a reservation in telling me that they they used a plastic disc of somewhat tight bore size attached to the back of a wheelweight cast ball with a sheet metal screw. I've read of the historical accounts of what I also thought to be amazing accounts of the accuracy of the smoothbore 12 lb. Napolean cannon, Which we all know had a substantial wooden sabot strapped to the rear of whatever projectile they fired, solid shot, case shot or grapeshot. Apparently a sabot or disc attached to the rear of a round projectile will not allow it to de-stabilize because if it it tries to the disc will move into the air stream and straighten it. So I beg the opinions of the many of you that are more intelligent than I, Would the ultimate round ball smoothbore musket accuracy round not be a reasonably snug fitting disc of a modern or historically available material (horn,paper,wood or whatever material) attached to the rear of the ball with a (screw, hide glue, modern adhesive or whatever) followed by a so called grease cookie to maintain lubrication, followed by another wad to protect the lube from direct flame impingement. This technology existed during "The War of Northern Aggression" So why aren't we using it now? I submit that it just might attain rifle like accuracy! If we collectively developed such a load would it be forbidden by the NSSA. If the aluminum foil technique is allowed and I have no problem with this! then why not the "Theoretical Sabot Smoothbore Solution"

ead
01-02-2011, 01:53 AM
Dear Members,
I have one more question. Many claim that 3f powder leaves less fouling and I believe this to be true but , I've also heard that because it burns hotter that the fouling it does leave is harder than that of 2f powder which may open the question of whether it will truely provide the best accuracy when firing numerous shots without cleaning!

Southron Sr.
01-03-2011, 07:52 AM
I have also heard of round ball shooters drilling a hole thru their musket's lead balls and then knotting and running a leather throng thru the ball.

When fired, the leather throng stabalizes the ball similar to the way a kite tail stabalizes a kite (or that is the general theory.)

While I don't claim to be an expert on the N-SSA rules, something tells me that firing artillery balls with base plates (or similar items) attached or .69 round balls with leather throng tails are against N-SSA rules

ead
01-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Southron,
Thanks for your input. I was wondering why there was very little interest in this idea and now I know why, you are correct NSSA for some reason forbids anything permanently attached to the ball. I love the idea about drilling the ball to accept a leather tail, it looks like alot of work but I think I'll experiment with it for non NSSA use. I wish I could get a mould that would cast a ball with a disc shape at the back! I still think it would be very accurate.

Ken Hansgen, 11094
01-03-2011, 12:59 PM
I've seen minie balls tumble. By your theory, they shouldn't, should they?

ead
01-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Ken,
I don't know if trying to stablize a round ball in a smoothbore is exactly the same as trying to stabilize a bullet from a rifled bore. Since there's very little interest in stabilizing a roundball, I'll start a new post on tumbling minies and see what we get.