PDA

View Full Version : WTB M1841 Mississippi bayonette

Squarehead1
12-27-2010, 11:29 AM
I would like to find a M1841 Mississippi bayonette in VG or better condition with sheath and frog. My gun is a Euroarms with bayonette lug.
John Foley
New to the Iredell Blues
jkfoley1@juno.com

Blair
12-27-2010, 04:07 PM
John,

Which variant of M-1841 Rifle do you have?
This can make a difference as to which saber/sword bayonet is most appropriate to the arm you have.
Most are not available accept as originals, and some of these may not fit your Euroarms '41 equipped with a bayonet lug. Providing you can find one.
Blair

Squarehead1
12-27-2010, 09:36 PM
My SAC card says 1841 Rifle MISS type "D".

I remember playing with my GGFths bayonette as a kid. It had a distinctive drop to the fore portion of the blade.

JF

Bob Eschbach, 3380v
12-27-2010, 09:53 PM
John, That description sounds like an Enfield short rifle Bayonette. Bob E

John Holland
12-28-2010, 01:23 AM
John -

The "Type D" Mississippi is made to accept a standard Harper's Ferry 1855 Rifle bayonet. By the time Harper's Ferry got to what we have designated as the "Type D" Mississippi they had standardized the bayonet.

John Holland
Chairman, Small Arms Committee
Society of American Bayonet Collectors
Etc.

Ken Hansgen, 11094
12-28-2010, 10:42 AM
And who sells a good repro. of that?

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
12-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Try Dixie....may take a bit of fitting though.

Phil

Blair
12-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Ken,

Unfortunately, no one! That I am aware of at this time.
There is a facsimile of a Colt, sort-of-like, type saber/sword bayonet that is made in India. These are grossly over weight and if installed/fitted, the rather straight blade of these Colt type bayonet actually comes into alignment with the bore of the firearm.
Re working one of these would be a major effort and a bigger pain!
Many people use a repro of the Remington "Zouave" Rifle bayonet. Again, not quite the same, but, is similar to one bayonet variant used on some of the '41 alterations.
If the bayonet must be authentic to the type of firearm... a very expensive original, If you can find one, would be your best bet. And the leather scabbards and such are even harder to find.
Blair

Squarehead1
01-11-2011, 09:37 AM
I purchased my Miss at the Fall nationals and then looked for proper bayonettes. I found 2. One was at Lodgewood, which I found a bit mangey for the $100 price, and the other was much better at the same price.
I do not remember the vendor of the better one, but he IDed it as an early Navy Arms repro. I was reigned in on the purchase by my financial advisor who was with me and, unfortunately, did not purchase it.
Does this ring anyone's bell?
JF

RaiderANV
01-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Well,,,,,if'n ya try to tell us where ah-bouts amoung the Sutlers he was located maybe one of us can figure out who it was fer ya :idea:

Squarehead1
01-11-2011, 05:04 PM
As I recall:
From the entry: the bridge is to my left, the first shop parallel to the bridge road is to my right, I am looking down the alley closest to the river.
The sutler I stopped at was on the right hand of that alley and within sight of the furthest back alley. I believe he was in the next to the last bay before the back alley.
His inventory consisted of a single glass case.
Is this enough to ID the sutler?

Thanks,
JF

Blair
01-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Would this be Jerry Stone's place?

What ever.
It still sounds like a repro Renington "Zouave" type bayonet.
Best suggestion I can make to you is to take your firearm down to Sutlers Row with you... try the bore of the bayonet and the bayonet lug on your firearm for fit. Both are impotant to getting a good fit. The lug can be modified for fit to that Bayonet.
The "Zouave" type saber/sword bayonet is not quite correct but will get you by in a pinch.
Hope this helps,
Blair

John Holland
01-12-2011, 12:09 AM
Mr. Foley -

My thoughts....If you purchased a Type D Mississippi Rifle with a SAC card, then you purchased a target grade rifle individually built by someone to shoot competetively in the N-SSA. Why would you want to attach a bayonet to the barrel of a target rifle? The U.S. 1855 Rifle bayonet seemingly is not reproduced at this time. Most likely because the Italian manufacturers of replica ACW arms don't make a replica of the U.S. Harper's Ferry 1855 Rifle, or any of the Mississippi variants that would use that bayonet. Nor have they ever done so. Since the rifles aren't available to the re-enacting world there isn't a big market for them. Reproductions of brass hilt bayonets today are poor at best. The very best one ever done was a replica of the Remington Model 1863 Rifle, aka "Zouave", by Flaigs in the early 1960's. That bayonet has moved into the collectors market because if its quality. All you need is a CW type bayonet to stick into the ground to lean your ram rod on in between shooting and reloading.

The vendor location you described should be Malcom McAddams, but two spots farther towards the end of the row you were on is Terry Kirkpatrick, who had 3 glass display cases and some brass hilt bayonets on the side wall of his booth. The vendor Blair mentioned, Jerry Stone, is in the next row up the hill parallel to where you were, but Jerry isn't well and hasn't been there in two years.

There is no good answer to what you want.

Again, just my thoughts.

JDH

Squarehead1
01-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Blair,
My problem is this: i am a twelve year old captured in a 69 year old body.

I played with my GGF's bayonette as a kid. It was the key to my doing the geneologigal research on him and his CW record and arms.
This was followed by a chance meeting with N-SSA reps at the Charlotte, NC NRA convention in 2010 and now my and my wife's involvment in CW target shooting.

I had previously believed that black powder was dirty, dangerous, nasty and to be avoided.
Through my involvement in N-SSA , I have found BP to be dirty, nasty, dangerouse and fun.

All of my GGF's arms have been lost via time and family fracture.

I am now attempting to put together a reproduced set of family memories even if produced by Italian metal workers

My post CW wife has even joined.

I do not need a bayonette to hold my ram rod. I have an Indian artillery sword made to look good with brazing rod and Bondo. (I am not a purist)

I need a Zouave? bayonette to reasonably complete my repro set.

GGF's Bayonette was one of the ones done by Colt for the 1841 and Colt Revolving Rifle. We also know it was a Remington. (15th NY (German Heavy Artillery)

Where to look next? What next?

J&D Foley
Iredell Blues (newbees)

Blair
01-12-2011, 07:43 PM
j&d Foley,

I cannot, and would not presume to tell you what to do.
The best I can offer you is suggestions, based on my 38 years of experience in this field of Civil War firearms. What you do with those suggestions are up to you!
That suggestion is to look for a "quality" repro Remington "Zouave" type bayonet that come closest to fitting your customized target grade firearm.
Be sure to have the gun with you while you are checking what bayonets may come closest to fitting your gun, or you will be wasting your time! Fitting may/will still be required!
Short of this is an original bayonet, (maybe hundreds of dollars) which may/will still require fitting to your gun.
I wish I had better news for you, but, to put it simply, there are no easy fixes to this issue.
Blair