PDA

View Full Version : Sharps Gas Check Seal Idea

Scott Kurki, 12475
11-15-2008, 12:05 PM
I do not have this gas blow by problem, yet, but I am reading all these posts about the "o-ring," "plumbers putty," and "washer," fixes. I am now wondering if anyone has tried using the liquid automobile engine gasket forming material. The liquid stuff is normally squeezed from a tube like a caulk around what ever you need a gasket on like an engine head. The gasket material then solidifies forming a high temp gasket. It seems like you could use this stuff and any kind of imperfections would be compensated for in a similar fashion to the way a rubber o-ring or the plumbers putty would.

Has anyone given this stuff a try?

WV SCROUNGER
11-15-2008, 01:22 PM
I would think applying the correct thickness would be impossible....
but I give you credit for thinking!
actually a thin application os automotive anti seize grease will do the trick...

Brad4Ky
11-15-2008, 03:18 PM
Use O-ring, less mess to deal with and easier.
Brad Schuler

Southron Sr.
11-21-2008, 06:04 PM
With the O Ring Modification, the O Ring puts pressure on the Lawrence plate and keeps it "snug" up against the end of the chamber when the arm is fired.

When the gas rushes back into the breechblock recess, then gas pressure works to keep the plate fully forward, sealing the breech.

The beauty of the O Ring modification is that the gun can fire 60-100 rounds before it is necessary to remove the breechblock and clean it.

I always carry a half dozen O Rings in the patch box of my Sharps. When the O Ring in the breech wears out, it takes about 20 seconds to replace it with a new one!

Scott Kurki, 12475
11-21-2008, 06:17 PM
I'm liking the o-ring mod. idea the best. I think that if (when) I ever have this problem, that I will go the way of the o-ring.

RaiderANV
11-21-2008, 06:28 PM
That shor' be one shore' fire fix fer that problem,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Should-ah,,,,could-ah,,,,,would-ah bought ah Maynard if'n you'dah known better. Green

Scott Kurki, 12475
11-21-2008, 06:44 PM
The Maynard is still on my list. Dixie has the Sharps carbines on sale for $300.00 off regular price now so.....

RaiderANV
11-23-2008, 06:31 PM
I hear they also have buy one starr and get ah dozen free. They be get'n ah jump on the Spring platin' season me guesses. :roll:

Scott Kurki, 12475
11-25-2008, 03:52 PM
I hear they also have buy one starr and get ah dozen free. They be get'n ah jump on the Spring platin' season me guesses. :roll:

That's no "deal." The best use of a Star is as a mater stake, but the best mater stake is not a Star.

sutlerjim
03-03-2009, 10:00 PM
Believe it or not...19th century black powder was made to burn "moist" and had a additive of graphite in the mix...Hence some lubrication to the carbine actions. Todays 21st century BP burns dirty. I have heard good reports on Scheutzen Black Powder or 777 which is close to the real deal :roll:
Also some "play"...in the Sharps is not that bad. I had a early Shiloh Sharps that jammed after 10 shots. Tolerance was too tight. Sent back to the factory, some help...Took out the gas check and polished myself so it floated more freely. Well I lubed the bullets in the base and greased the action and shot apx 100 rounds no trouble. I see why the originals worked "well". Tolerance not tight and BP which burned "moist" Of course all had to have minor "tuning" so to speek.... :roll:

Boge
03-04-2009, 03:11 AM
sutlerjim, no offense, but your post is full of historical inaccuracies. Graphite is not added for lubricity for fouling purposes. It's added to aid in the corning & milling process and was not used to the best of my knowledge in the 19th century. I can assure you that the gov't bought the cheapest "musket" grade BP they could get during the war. One of the DuPont brothers wrote about not using the better grade of charcoal for expense purposes. The "Best" BP's were imported from England, Curtiss & Harvey for example. After the war a few American companies such as Laflin & Rand and Hazard also made a high grade of BP. The secret was the charcoal, buckthorn alder being the best.

The grade of charcoal is what gives the better Swiss BP its moist burning characteristic as the buckthorn alder charcoal emits more creosote during the burning process.

sutlerjim
03-04-2009, 06:03 PM
No offense taken, you are right in your history. But I was told by my Grandfather that it was used when he was a boy and there some reference books about it although I cant remember...anymore...Yes the chemical "makeup" of the powder is important :roll:
In NAM junk powder was the main culprit in jamming the m16 also...JB

hilltr01
12-11-2012, 11:01 AM
With the O Ring Modification, the O Ring puts pressure on the Lawrence plate and keeps it "snug" up against the end of the chamber when the arm is fired.

When the gas rushes back into the breechblock recess, then gas pressure works to keep the plate fully forward, sealing the breech.

The beauty of the O Ring modification is that the gun can fire 60-100 rounds before it is necessary to remove the breechblock and clean it.

I always carry a half dozen O Rings in the patch box of my Sharps. When the O Ring in the breech wears out, it takes about 20 seconds to replace it with a new one!

Sir : Can you help me with details on the "O Ring Modification" of which you speak.

Southron Sr.
12-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Well, I have shot 19th Century black powder (some Confederate black powder made at Augusta during the war and English J2 black powder) and as far as I could tell, it was pretty much like the black powder we shoot today.