PDA

View Full Version : WHY????

Mark w/Stuart's Horse
10-17-2006, 06:39 PM
Curious about why if I enter the Miller award I can only portray my
N-SSA unit? I have interest in entering more than a Confederate Artillery uniform. The Ladies can do many varied costumes but as for military entries you can only do one thing. Doesn't seem right.
Respectfully,
Mark Elton

Stefan
10-31-2006, 01:53 PM
I am surprized by the even numbers in the poll so far. I would be very curious to hear the reasons the nay-sayers have for their position.

Mike McDaniel
11-06-2006, 02:07 PM
I don't understand it either. Not that I'm interested in uniform competition, but I don't see why one should be restricted to one's own unit, particularly when the most difficult Confederate uniforms are officer's uniforms - and N-SSA rules specifically forbid portraying an officer on the line (a good rule for shooting, but bad for uniform competition, in my view).

Mike McDaniel
11-06-2006, 02:08 PM
Oops...thinking about it, I think the problem may be in the way the question is worded.

RaiderANV
01-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Yes, the problem is how he worded the question. It sorta leads you to believe someone wants to see yet another form of competition or asking if others would have interests in competitiing. Either of these would draw a lot of NO's.

Reword ye question Mark.

Bob Huntoon
03-22-2007, 02:27 PM
Gentlemen,

The purpose set out by the family of Robert Miller when the competition was set up was to increase the uniform authenticity and appearance of the N-SSA. It is due to this that the competition has required entrants to be in their unit's uniform.

In the early days, we had a lot of misunderstandings on this very issue.

In order to increase knowledge, inform the membership on correct period uniforms AND HAVE THEM ON THE LINE DURING COMPETITION, the Miller is the way it is.

NOW, if there is a group out there that wishes to have an "open" competition they can go forward with it.

I doubt it will have the prestige that the Miller has obtained, BUT I do not believe we should subvert the intent that the Miller was founded on in order to accomodate the few who wish to have their own special open uniform competition.

Maybe an approach to the costume folks would be the way to go.

For those who roll that way, I think it would be neat to see the wide variety of all possible uniforms that could be entered. Zouaves, Chasseurs, Veteran Reserves, Militia etc.

For your information. There are 2 other Miller Awards made each year:

- The Company of Miltary Historians give a Miller for the best educational display at their annual gathering.

- The Potomac Arms Collectors give a Miller Award for the best firearms display at their annual show.

Bob Huntoon