PDA

View Full Version : 1853 Enfield musketoon takes to the woods

David Lapell
12-19-2010, 10:21 AM
Yesterday I took my EuroArms 1853 Enfield Musketoon out hunting for whitetails here in NY for the last couple of days of muzzleloading. My two companions were using modern inlines. After a couple of hours of sitting I got up for a walk and after about fie minutes jumped a pair of does that ran up a large hill. One went over the top while the other stopped and turned to face me. she was about 100 yards away, but I have competed with this gun with the very same loads (55 grains and a 475 grain Minie ball) at 100 yards offhand so I know where this gun will hit. I brought the gun up, the front sight covered pretty much the whole deer, but the gun held true, the Minie ball catching the doe in the neck, dropping her where she stood. Who says old technology doesn't work?
http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss57/Smith29-2/muzzledeer.jpg
http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss57/Smith29-2/muzzledeer2.jpg

R. McAuley 3014V
12-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Somewhere I have similar pictures taken of the first deer I killed with a Uzi not that I was “hunting” deer. I was out walking the fence line looking for sign of any poachers on my grandfather’s farm in Texas, and startled an 8-point buck in a thicket which when he jumped out startled me, and well… I emptied the magazine and he got dead fast!

Later the same day, I happened on a hunter who said he was lost and couldn’t find the road? I told him he could walk in any direction and would find a road about a mile away. He asked me if I was “having any luck”. I told him I was hunting poachers!

Funny thing, he suddenly said he left something back in his truck—I figured it must have been a clean pair of drawers.

Greg Ogdan, 11444
12-20-2010, 09:29 AM
Ah, Bambi lives in the freezer; life is good!

Southron Sr.
12-23-2010, 08:49 AM
Twenty-odd years ago I decided to go deer hunting on my farm on a parcel of land that was across a road from the main part of the farm.

Even though M/L Deer Season in Georgia was over with, I decided to carry a repro, three band, Special Model 1861.

When I was walking to my stand which was down besides the creek, I ran into a trespasser/poacher.

He was visably shaken when eyed the Special Model 1861 I was carrying and after mumbling an apology of sorts, he vacated my property. Guess that long Special Model was intimidating enough!

Richard:

"Three round bursts"-"Three round bursts!"..... You waste less ammo that way and accuracy improves!

R. McAuley 3014V
12-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Richard:

"Three round bursts"-"Three round bursts!"..... You waste less ammo that way and accuracy improves!

I still can't help but laugh every time I think back to when Denny was a baby, and you standing next to him in his play pen while cradling your Model 1927 Thompson asking him “Denny, wanna’ play with daddy’s machinegun?” Every kid ought to grow up with big boy toys!