PDA

View Full Version : Loose hammer on Lorenz

Steve Weems
12-17-2010, 11:36 PM
The hammer on my Muster 1854 Lorenz is very loose because the hole in the hammer is a loose fit on the square shaft of the tumbler.
Somewhere I read long ago a method to fix this but do not now recall how to retrieve that information. I'm hoping that I can get
pointers from some of you who have worked with this problem in the past. Your help is all ways appreciated.

Steve Weems

Bob Eschbach, 3380v
12-18-2010, 06:58 AM
Steve, The method I use is to remove the hammer and peen around the square tumbler hole in the hammer using a hammer( I mean the tool here) and an anvil or other solid, flat, metal surface. Carefully work around the tumbler hole and it will eventually tighten up. periodaclly try the fit on the tumbler shaft to ensure that you dont go to far. I have tried making shims to fill in the gaps but I have never had much success with them. This works well for me. Good luck! Bob Eschbach

Steve Weems
12-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Bob--Thank you for the input--I am going to give your method a try---Steve Weems

Don Dixon
12-19-2010, 11:39 AM
Steve,

Bob's solution to this common M1854 rifle problem is essentially correct, but needs to be done slowly and carefully.

If you feel unsure about doing the work on the tumber yourself, Tom Hunger can do it for you next time you are in Winchester. He knows what he is doing.

Regards,
Don Dixon
2881V