PDA

View Full Version : New? Pedersoli Sharps Carbine Gas Check System

Scott Kurki, 12475
11-11-2008, 05:07 PM
There has been a lot of talk about this gas check system that originally consisted of a gas check plate, gas check sleeve and some washers.

I just picked up a new carbine from Dixie Gun Works and read through the manual which says that some guns, not all, have the sleeve.

My barrel looks like it may have had a sleeve but I could not move it so I called Dixie and asked them about it. It turns out that the new carbines that Dixie is selling do not have the movable gas check sleeve. The only part that moves is the gas check plate (and possibly the washers).

No special high temperature anti-seize compound needed. Just keep it clean. The plate removes easily and even has finger nail notches cut into it to help with its removal.

I hope it works, no reason so expect otherwise.

paul w/McGregor's 385V
11-12-2008, 07:52 AM
Skurki,

"Just keep it clean". Yep, you betcha. After you have shot it for several skirmishes, you may find those "notches" break your fingernails attempting to remove the plate.

Recommend you remove the plate, goop it well with a high temp anti seize of your choice (FEL PRO C4, etc) and replace it. A fine covering of C4 on the face also helps during a match to keep the block moving smoothly.

Take care and be safe
pfb

Southron Sr.
11-12-2008, 03:08 PM
Dear Skurki:

Load up some rounds for your new Sharps and fire them in paractice. Keep a count of how many rounds you fire before the breech block "freezes" due to powder fouling.

Supposedly, the new "Gas Check" system employed on the Pedersoli Sharps will allow you to fire 50+ rounds before it gets difficult to open the breech block.

INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!

THANKS!

Scott Kurki, 12475
11-12-2008, 04:40 PM
I will be sure to make a post with what happens when I get around to shooting it. My inquiring mind wants to know also. :wink:

Greg Ogdan, 11444
11-13-2008, 10:34 AM
The FelPro anti-sieze works well. You may want to try regular high pressure, high temp axle grease available at Wally World for about $3.50/lb. It's pretty much just like Shooters Choice HiTec grease and one heck of a lot cheaper.

WV SCROUNGER
01-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Dont forget to put anti-seize on the sides of the block and also the lever hinge AND on the take down lever.....makes things alot easier!

Scott Lynch 1460V
01-08-2009, 10:37 AM
I "had" one of the new Pedersoli sharps carbines with the washers and mine had the sliding chamber. Even gooped up it froze after 8 shots. Recommend you send it to Bill Welsh, Maryland Guard for an O ring job and a completly new breech block with a flush front and no gas plate, problem solved. Its too bad when you spend that kind of money for a carbine and then have to have it rebuilt before you cah use it. Better yet spend the extra money and buy a Shiloh.

Scott Kurki, 12475
01-08-2009, 10:41 AM
I hear that even the Shiloh's are hving to be modified.

Edwin Flint, 8427
01-08-2009, 01:49 PM
I don't believe the Shiloh requires a modification.

After considerable use, the block begins to leak gas and accuracy decreases. This requires a repair/replacement of the breech face plate which Shiloh fits to your gun. There is no actual modification of the parts shape or how they work. Shiloh is making the replacements from a different steel to reduce the likelihood of erosion that causes this leakage. If that is what you mean by modification, you are right.

Scott Kurki, 12475
01-08-2009, 04:01 PM
Thanks for that information.

The modification that I was referring to was the "O-Ring" mod. without but sometimes with a new breach block.

Scott Kurki, 12475
01-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Okay I know some of you are anxiously waiting for some reports so here is the first one.

First of all I got my gun back from Charlie Hahn who did an "o-ring" modification to it. I have to say Charlie does some very nice work.

Now here is the first report. I shot 10 rounds only because of cold weather. There were no signs of the action locking up. Cleaning revealed little to now fouling in the breach or breach block, behind the gas check plate or otherwise. I am very well pleased with this. I wanted to shoot more but there was a match going on and I had to warm my fingers so timing was not good.

I will post more information as it becomes available, perhaps in a few weeks.

leontev
12-21-2016, 08:30 AM
Hello to All!
I'm from Russia and I've recently bought Pedersoli Sharps 1863 Civilian .54 with new gas check system. But after 5-10 shots i can't open the breech block because of soot.
Can you advise me how to solve this problem?

Maillemaker
12-21-2016, 11:00 AM
Yes I can!

I recently acquired a Pedersoli 1859 Sharps in trade.

This is the version of the Pedersoli that uses an attempt at the "Sam Dobbins" modification - they have their gas check plate backed up by an o-ring. They also use a sliding chamber bushing. This is what my stock breech block and gas check plate looked like:

http://i.imgur.com/kDUk7ozl.jpg

Like you, I could only get off about 10 shots before the action became too stiff to operate.

I sent my Sharps to Larry Flees, who removes the sliding chamber bushing and replaces it with a fixed bushing, and he replaces the stock gas plate with his own.

My first time using it after getting it back I fired 89 consecutive shots without cleaning the action.

See my review here:

http://www.n-ssa.net/vbforum/showthread.php/13515-Review-Larry-Flees-Pedersoli-Sharps-Carbine-rework

I highly recommend Larry Flees' Sharps rework. If you are needing your Sharps to fire off many consecutive shots as in a competition environment, it is a necessity.

If you are just doing shooting range plinking if you dribble a few drops of Ballistol onto the breech face when the action is open that will generally get the gun running again for a few more shots until it seizes up again.

Steve

John Holland
12-21-2016, 12:21 PM
If Leontev lives in Russia, he is going to have a tough time getting Larry Flees to do the alteration!

Eggman
12-21-2016, 01:23 PM
If Leontev lives in Russia, he is going to have a tough time getting Larry Flees to do the alteration!
Spasiba John but ya ne shootkee.

John Holland
12-21-2016, 02:05 PM
Pochti nevozmozhno sdelat'. Or, at least I think so!

bobanderson
12-22-2016, 04:37 AM
Pochti nevozmozhno sdelat'. Or, at least I think so!

Could you translate for us that have an Effin Apple operating system and can't do a simple copy and paste to search the web?

Eggman
12-22-2016, 10:18 AM
Could you translate for us that have an Effin Apple operating system and can't do a simple copy and paste to search the web?
Bob you wont be able to paste phonetic versions of Russian anyway. Applying my apx. nine word Russian vocabulary, my interpretation of John's response to --- "Thanks John but I crack the jokes here"--- is that he is not properly prepared to respond. We are both hampered by having to use phonetics and not having a Crylic keyboard, which I believe you can download. Leontev - you know what we said right??

Charlie Hahn
12-22-2016, 10:56 AM
Hi Lenon,

I have done one of my fixes long distance. Here is my email, etb9601@gmail.com. I would need a photo of your breech block and if your sleeve is frozen to not.

There are two options to consider. Once I get your pictures I can advise from there

Regards

Charlie Hahn

leontev
12-22-2016, 11:24 AM
Leontev - you know what we said right??
Да, я понял:D
Yeah it's almost impossible to send my rife to Larry Flees because of our (anti)gun laws.
Thank you Maillemaker, it's seems like it's possible to me to make this modifications. But my carbine doesn't have floating sleeve in barrel. And I think the breech surface of the barrel doesen't adjoin perfectly to the breech plate.
As I can see Larry's new seal plate has an internal chamfer. Is it works like original plate?

Maillemaker
12-22-2016, 11:35 AM
Thank you Maillemaker, it's seems like it's possible to me to make this modifications. But my carbine doesn't have floating sleeve in barrel. And I think the breech surface of the barrel doesen't adjoin perfectly to the breech plate.
As I can see Larry's new seal plate has an internal chamfer. Is it works like original plate?

Both the Pedersoli and Larry's setup are a variation of the "Sam Dobbins" modification. In that the back of the gas plate has a cylindrical protrusion that fits into a cavity in the breech block and rests on an o-ring. Larry uses a thinner o-ring than Pedersoli.

Larry machines his gas plate out of AMPCO bronze. I suspect part of the "magic" of his fix is that he makes sure his gas plate bears square and true with the fixed chamber bushing, which protrudes slightly proud of the breech face.

Larry's seal is so good that it makes cleaning the Sharps a snap. Before his fix, I had soot all the way inside the foregrip. After the fix, there is almost no fouling outside the barrel and chamber.

Steve

leontev
12-22-2016, 11:36 AM
Hi Lenon,

If it's for me it would be great. I'll make few photos soon.

leontev
12-22-2016, 12:44 PM
I suspect part of the "magic" of his fix is that he makes sure his gas plate bears square and true with the fixed chamber bushing, which protrudes slightly proud of the breech face.

Steve
I think the main problem is inproper fit between the barrel and plate.
Maillemaker, could you measure your new seal plate, thickness, protrusion high and internal diameter?

Maillemaker
12-22-2016, 02:11 PM
Hey leontev,

I'm a little hesitant to provide reverse-engineered dimensions from another guy's work. You might wish to contact Larry and see if he will provide you with the dimensions you are after.

Steve

Eggman
12-22-2016, 03:09 PM
I'd add Leontev - would not your postal laws allow you to ship a breachblock? It certainly doesn't constitute a gun.

leontev
12-23-2016, 12:37 AM
Hey leontev,

I'm a little hesitant to provide reverse-engineered dimensions from another guy's work.
I understand. How can i contact Larry Flees?

I think it's useless to send only breech block without whole rifle. As i can see the cause of the problem is untight contact between barrel and plate. It's visible in contact traces https://yadi.sk/i/YbqdPybh34Wqoh

bobanderson
12-23-2016, 06:09 AM
I understand. How can i contact Larry Flees?

I think it's useless to send only breech block without whole rifle. As i can see the cause of the problem is untight contact between barrel and plate. It's visible in contact traces https://yadi.sk/i/YbqdPybh34Wqoh

I'll send you Larry's contact info in a Private Message.

As far as shipping your Sharps, would your laws allow shipping the breechblock in one package and your barrelled action in another? And, of course, check to see if you can receive such as package. I'd recommend FEDEX instead of the postal services.

Larry machines, inserts and hones a chamber bushing to perfectly align with the face of the new Ampco bronze gas check plate. This mating surface is crucial to getting a leak free seal.

bobanderson
12-23-2016, 06:23 AM
Larry machines, inserts and hones a chamber bushing to perfectly align with the face of the new Ampco bronze gas check plate. This mating surface is crucial to getting a leak free seal.

By the way, I also had him size this bushing to more closely match the diameter of my bullet to reduce excess space in the loaded chamber. It worked pretty well.

leontev
12-23-2016, 10:18 AM
As far as shipping your Sharps, would your laws allow shipping the breechblock in one package and your barrelled action in another? And, of course, check to see if you can receive such as package. I'd recommend FEDEX instead of the postal services.

According our laws the barrel is a main part of a firearm and i can send it only with 'special post' only on territory of Russia or i can send it to manufaturer by dealer. But i should take a special license to send this firearm, because percussion Sharps is in the same category as cartridge rifles like bolt action 308 or semiauto Saiga.

Eggman
12-23-2016, 12:19 PM
Sounds like some more detailed coaching is called for guys. IF IT HASN'T ALREADY, I think this string might become a primary resource for the whole shooting community, much like the Smoothbore Theory thread which has received over 26,000 hits. I'm not sure this stuff gets us members, but it sure gets us respect.