PDA

View Full Version : 1863 Springfield clamping bands

Ben McGee
11-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Hello,

Had a quick question, I'm building my first musket, an 1863 Springfield with clamping bands. I have read that these bands work there way loose after repeated firing. Are there any tricks to prevent this? I would prefer not to use band springs (three less parts to inlet ) Thanks

Benjamin McGee

Southron Sr.
11-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Actually, you would be better off with band springs and solid bands.

A friend of mine had an original Colt Special Model 1861 with the clamping bands. There was a small hole drilled thru both sides of the barrel bands and stock. A small pin went thru the band and stock, thereby securing the barrel band in place. Of course, dissassembley would have been a hassle because each pin would have to be tapped out of each band before a barrel band could be removed.

Now, whether this was "original" or not, I don't know. That is the ONLY
original rifle musket with clamping bands/pin that I have seen like that.

Another point: If you are building the arm for N-SSA competition, a "pin thru the barrel bands and stock" mod might disqualify the arm for N-SSA Approval. I would check with the Small Arms Committee before doing such a modification.

Bob F, 1st NJLA
11-11-2008, 07:06 PM
A method used to keep clamping bands from slipping is to drill a hole and insert a pin (3/32" welding rod is about right) just in front of the band. No more than about 1/16" of the pin should stand proud of the wood so that the band can be loosened enough to slip past the pin when being removed. Disassembly still does not require anything more than loosening the band screw but the combination of the clamping action and the pin keeps the band from slipping forward. Whether the small arms committee approves this modification or not I don't know so I wouldn't suggest doing it without checking first.

Another less drastic measure is to glue a strip of thin cardboard on the inside of the band to reduce it's size thus increasing it's grip. This is what I do on original guns where I want to avoid non-reversible methods.

I have made several clamping band rifle/muskets and I leave the forend slightly larger than the original dimensions. Over time the band compresses the wood so the wood becomes slightly swelled in front of the band and they never slip. However, I make my stocks from scratch so it is possible to do this. If you are using a pre-formed stock you don't have this option.

Hope this helps!

Lee Hoffecker
11-13-2008, 10:28 PM
I have an orginial 1863 Springfield with screw bands that I was shooting when I first got into skirmishing and found that when the bands were tight it threw off the accuracy of the musket. With loose bands it was very accuracte. Plastic electrical tape kept the bands in place.
Lee

Ben McGee
11-15-2008, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the input. Hopefully I'll have a shootable musket before spring, if my wife would let me stay in the workshop longer than five minutes :?

Ben McGee