PDA

View Full Version : Markings on Sharps CArbine

Rlevin
12-05-2010, 04:07 PM
I have a sharps carbine where someone has carved under the but plate:
43 F.H.:
This may mean 43rd Regiment F company Hancock Brigade. This regiment was designated by the State on 18, 1861 and was organized in Albany NY.

Also on the plate for the sadle ring there is a neatly stamped "A.W.M".
Since the gun was little use (almost none) the initials on the plate may be a presentation for something important. If someone could have a roster of the regiment above, and possibly F company it might solve what the initials belonged to.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Russ C2 Berdan

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
12-05-2010, 04:10 PM
What state?

Jim_Burgess_2078V
12-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Some clarification would be helpful. When you say the "43 F.H." marking is carved under the butt plate, do you mean the toe of the butt stock or actually seen beneath the butt plate which requires the removal of 2 screws and the buttplate? If the latter, I doubt it is a unit designation since it would not be readily seen without disassembly. More likely it is a marking put there to facilitate assembly of the carbine during manufacture. I checked the New York Adjutant General's Report roster for the 43rd New York and there are no soldiers in that unit with the initials "A.W.M." If these initials are stamped I would be more inclined to think they are government inspector's marks.
Jim Burgess, 15th CVI

Rlevin
12-30-2010, 08:21 AM
Thank you all.
43 F H is hand carved on the rear of the but of the stock and you have to remove the two screws of the but plate to see it. I found out the stamped letters on the saddle ring plate are those of an inspector. I bought the book on Sharps carbines and it has a lot of serial numbers. I could not find the serial number of my carbine in the book (some were very close). I would really like to find out more about my carbine. I wonder where is the best place to kook.=?

Thank you VERY much for taking the time to help this senior citizen (me) who happens to love the smell of black powder gun smoke.

Russ