PDA

View Full Version : Spencer Nub

Eggman
11-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Well the nice pretty replacement hammer I got for my beater Spencer from Dixie Gun Works in 1976 finally wore down on the upper left corner from whacking against the firing bar on my S & S converson block leading to some regular misfires (try saying that with one breath). So I put old "Nubby" back on - the original hammer worn down by constant use trying to eliminate the Cheyenne and Sioux. My wife thinks it looks cool with old "Nubby" back on, and I've eliminated the misfires, but I think I'd still like to put the cool looking hammer with the full spur on it back on. How can I reconsititute the hammer? Is beating on it the only solution? Is there a way to get it to align better (I had already bent the top of the hammer in to get fulll contact with the firing bar)?

DAVE FRANCE
11-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Hello Eggman,

I have no advice to give about your problem, but I do want to say that I found your message very amusing. It reminded me of a bumper sticker I saw once that said Custer had it coming!

David

Southron Sr.
11-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Dear Dave:

Dang right that "Custer had it coming" for that dirty trick he pulled on General Lee at Appomattox (not to mention Gettysburg!)

With My Best Regards

Southron!

Eggman: A decent welder could add some metal to "Old Nubby" and partially restore it for shooting purposes.

DAVE FRANCE
11-30-2010, 05:18 PM
Hello Southron,

You are right. He really had it coming. I read a book a couple years ago that said that Lee was really counting on the cavalry to attack the Union army from the rear. And he had taught military history and knew that battles had been won that way in Europe earlier.

Thanks for pointing that out.

David

John Holland
12-01-2010, 12:36 AM
Eggman -

If you could get someone who can weld....with a nice TIG/MIG welder....to run a fine bead down the low spot on the face of your hammer, you could then gently dress it back flat & square, and I think you'd be good to go. That repair, with the harder wire in general use, should last a long time.

JDH

Eggman
12-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. Since you brought up George Armstrong Custer thing, now you're in for some extreme trivia: our favorite football player is the famous Adam Vinatieri who was the clutch place kicker for the Patriots in three Super Bowls, and one with the Colts. Adam graduated from South Dakota State U., our alma mater. Adam's great grandfather is Felix Vinatieri, George Custer's bandmaster.

John Holland
12-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Eggman - You win the "Esoteric Award" for the week ! ! !

JDH

Eggman
12-01-2010, 04:30 PM
COOL! Helps make up for my getting kicked off yearbook staff while in high school.

DAVE FRANCE
12-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Eggman,

I thought just before I got to the end of your message that someone you know was related to one of Custer's officers who survived the battle and who were glad he lost his hair. I read in something about Custer that dozens of men would desert his regiment at the same time to get away from him.

David

Eggman
12-02-2010, 06:07 PM
No all of my ancesters were in Holland with their thumbs stuck in dykes at that time.

DAVE FRANCE
12-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Eggman,

I'm not sure what you mean by dyke. Do you meana dyke like Levee - you know like a levee along the Mississippi, or uhh something else?

David

Eggman
12-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Yeah there's a problem with "dike" usage in the modern age. I don't want anyone to confuse my "dyke" with the modern "dike" referring to the nonstandard sexual persuasion of certain females. So I use the Dutch version which in the Netherlands has the same application as the modern usage here, but is not recognized as such here. I have heard of the word "levee" but the term is not used where I come from and I don't know what it means. Do you mean like "levee" taxes??

DAVE FRANCE
12-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Eggman,

I was joking!

Levee means the same thing as a dike/dyke I think. Although dykes in the Holland might refer to dykes that keep the Norht Sea from the land and not by a river.

You hear levee mentioned when referring to the levees along the Mississippi, even when referring to the levees in the North. Levee, I am sure is a French word, and in Lousiana it also means a party. In a song in the sixties the referral to a levee in "I went to levee and the levee was dry." meant I went to a party and there was no liquor allowed.

This is probably more than you wanted to know!

Au Revoir!

David

John Holland
12-03-2010, 04:43 PM
DANG ! ! ! And all these years Ithought the party was ON the Levee ? ! ? ! It said they were drinkin' Whiskey & Rye....But, then again....that was a LONG time ago....

JDH