PDA

View Full Version : Model 1855 Cadet Musket

hwaugh
11-24-2010, 09:33 PM
Over the years I have owned and handled many 1855 cadet muskets which fall into two distinct types. Type I is usually dated 1857 or 1858 and features the long range sight with a brass nose cap. Type II is usually dated 1859 and is all iron mounted and has the short base sight. I recently acquired what I would call a transition Type II cadet. It has a brass nose cap and is dated 1859 on the barrel and the lock and has the short base sight. I wonder if anyone has ever seen an 1859 dated lock and barrel and have the long range sight and brass nose cap? In fact I would be interested in hearing of any atypical configuration to the Model 1855 Cadet. Thanks.

Harry Waugh - 3731 - Terry's Texas Rangers

R. McAuley 3014V
11-24-2010, 11:37 PM
Harry,
On this latter 1859 specimen, is there any evidence that the brass nosecap is a replacement for the iron nosecap? For example, is the brass nosecap secured with copper rivets or by an iron screw? As I understand, Harpers Ferry's M1855 is easily distinguished by its use of copper rivets to secure the brass nosecap versus use of the iron nosecap screw. Also, you suspect it to have been the earlier pattern long range sight, is there any evidence of the sight screw having been plugged and moved back for the M1858 short range sight? Also, have you removed the backsight and verified whether the barrel is slotted for the steady pin?

hwaugh
11-25-2010, 06:49 AM
Good questions as to the 55 cadet dated 59 both barrel and lock with a brass nose cap. The nose cap is an original riveted nose cap that has always been with this stock and the short base sight is properly notched. I see no signs of the barrel being plugged for a long range sight. My theory is that this is an early 59 cadet utilizing a stock left over from the 58 model that was fixed with a brass nose cap.