PDA

View Full Version : Maynard Question

Paul L
11-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Hello All,

I have an early original Maynard 2nd model (serial # 22xx). There is no slop in the linkage, and it locks up nice and tight. However, when it is locked up the gap between the barrel and the breach is twice or maybe three times the width of most Maynards. It does not appear that the end of the barrel has been modified in any way. As I said, the linkage is tight, so that is not the reason for the large gap.

A friend suggested that the early Maynards were made to take a cartridge with a thicker lip. This sounds possible, but I have been unable to find any documentation to support this idea.

Does anyone know why this early serial number Maynard has a wider gap? Aside from a new barrel, any suggestions on how to close this gap up so a cartridge would fit snugly?

Thanks!

Paul L
24th Michigan

John Bly
11-23-2010, 09:45 AM
There can be many reasons for the extra gap between the barrel and breech face on your Maynard. The world is full of gun tinkerers who fancy themselves experts on whatever they work on. Maynards have been around for about 145 years and it could have been modified in some way. You would need to take it to someome familiar with Maynards. If you are in Michigan, I would recommend Bruce Cobb. Your gun may be repairable, but without knowing what the problem is I can't make any assessment. The barrel could have been shortened at the rear, the breech face cut back, or the lugs ground off to give more headspace. Those would be my best three guesses.
The cartridge models that were converted from percussion carbines did use a thicker rim. The 1873 was .135" and the 1882 was .070". The breech face was cut back to get the headspace. The barrels all had the same dimensions from the front of the locking lugs to the rear of the chamber. Any Maynard barrel should fit any Maynard, but it may not be correct for the gun and may not be OK for shooting.
If I can be of further assistance. send me a PM. Thanks, John Bly 5109V

Walt Magee
11-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Where did get the gun? Or should I say from whom?

John Holland
11-23-2010, 04:43 PM
Walt -

With all due respect, I think those types of questions are best handled privately, for an assortment of reasons.

Thank you.

John Holland
BB Moderator

Paul L
11-23-2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks John for the response.

I measured the gap (as best I could), and it measured at .078". If the breach face has been cut back, is that something that can be repaired?

I will look up Bruce Cobb to have him take a look at it and see what he recommends.

Thanks!

Paul
24th Michigan

John Bly
11-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Paul, since it is still a percussion gun I would think that the breech face has not been messed with. The frames are case hardened and modifying it would present a challenge. The most likely suspect is the back end of the barrel, but you say it looks normal. The normal headspace on percussion Maynards is .031". It sounds like yours has been modified to accept a rimmed cartridge such as a 50/70. Check your chamber depth to make sure it has not been modified. How's the bore?

We wonder today when we look at modifications to original guns "What were they thinking?" Keep in mind that Maynards at one time were essentially worthless and anything that could be done to make it useful at the time was a value added service. Many conditions can be repaired and the gun returned to service.

I recommend that you get Bruce Cobb to look at it. I can furnish a phone number if you will send me a PM. I don't want to send personal info on a public forum