PDA

View Full Version : Petroleum Based Lubes and Cleaners

Scott Kurki, 12475
11-03-2008, 01:24 PM
I noticed that there are a lot of people that prefer not to use lubes or cleaning products that contain petroleum. What are the reasons for this? I mean are the reasons historical, personal, or technical?

Edwin Flint, 8427
11-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Many folks use cleaners with petroleum bases, particularly after a skirmish. Why they don't use them at all, I suspect is historical.

During a skirmish, some lubes with petroleum bases have been known or suspected to be the principle cause of cookoffs. After earlier using parafin as part of my lube, I was told this. I only used it for about a year. This is my 15th year. I have never, (knock on wood) had a cook off. The folks that told me parafin was okay have had a few.

Most folks I know use petroleum based products externally to fight rust and in the lock's internals. They also use it in the bore after field cleaning.

Ken Hansgen, 11094
11-03-2008, 05:04 PM
I suspect the reason is primarily personal. Some skirmishers (especially some of the older dudes who aren't afraid of lead poisoning) hold lubed lead bullets in the mouth during loading. Thus, I suspect they subscribe to the saying, "Don't put anything in the lube you wouldn't eat."

Re. what Ed says about cookoffs (which can be mighty personal, if they happen to you, but sorta technical too) I was told that Crisco causes cookoffs, after lubing with it for years without experiencing any. So who (whom?) do you believe?

Can't comment on cleaning products, except to say I've always heard that black powder and its fouling are water soluble, so I only use oil for preventing rust after cleaning.

William H. Shuey
11-04-2008, 12:40 AM
I've had bores rust when cleaned and wiped out with light oils and WD40. Since I discovered RIG (Rust Inhibiting Grease) the problem has disappeared. Keeping the bore un corroded is a lot more important than historical accuracy.

Bill Shuey

Eric A. Savickas, 08663V
11-04-2008, 07:15 AM
Petroleum products in the bore produces carbon deposits and fouling.

ken chrestman
11-04-2008, 09:17 AM
Use Break Free (WD40 sucks) and wipe with an alcohol patch before shooting and you will never have any rust. Get some alcohol preps from you're MD and keep in shooting box, very easy to use. RIG is good also.

Regards;

Ken Chrestman

David Kennard 12146
11-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Where would one find/purchase Rust Inhibiting Grease (RIB)?

Thanks

Mike w/ 34th
11-04-2008, 11:39 PM
You want to buy RIG? You're pretty much out of luck. It was discontinued in September (company was bought and transfered overseas, product dropped). You might find some at gun shows or in older gun shops. If you find any, buy one for me.

Cheers,

Michael

Greg Ogdan, 11444
11-05-2008, 08:33 AM
I have been having very good rust inhibiting results with two products. For those of you who don't use petroleum based, try 1000 plus from the Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, Ohio. It's also sold as Thompson Center Bore Butter. TC will tell you it's a patch lube also. It doesn't work all that well for me accuracy wise. If there is no aversion to petrochemicals Eezzox is great also.

RaiderANV
11-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Dang,,,,an no one has said anything about Balistol yet :shock:

There is nothing on the market that can do all Balistol does. It's Pine oil based. Good enough for the Smithsonian it's good enough fer me Maynards!

And it blows Solarcane away when it comes to sunburn also :oops:

Muley Gil
11-05-2008, 11:31 AM
I have had my best luck by using Ballistol to clean and Bore Butter to lube afterwards. After the Fall National this year, it only took two Ballistol soaked patchs to clean the bore on my P-H 2 bander.

Eric A. Savickas, 08663V
11-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Ballistol is an excellent bore oil since it isn't petroleum based. Not to mention the fact that it is very thick. It works great diluted for cleaning blackpowder residue and full strength for oiling EVERYTHING under the sun. Wipe it on whatever needs oil and protection.

RangerFrog
11-05-2008, 08:12 PM
I'm relatively new to this branch of the shooting sports, but in a previous life I was given some Butch's Bore Shine Black Powder Solvent, and since it worked so well for the BP cartridges I was shooting then, I have used it in my Euroarms Zouave a couple of times with seemingly very good results. I'll know better after I pull the old musket out next time it's been left a while what the long term results are, but hopefully the little bit of petro based oil I put in at the end of the process won't hurt anything too much!

Froggie

Boge
11-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Ballistol is an excellent bore oil since it isn't petroleum based. Not to mention the fact that it is very thick. It works great diluted for cleaning blackpowder residue and full strength for oiling EVERYTHING under the sun. Wipe it on whatever needs oil and protection.

Actually, Ballistol IS petroleum based as it's made from coal. Always clean all Ballistol from the bore before shooting. :wink: