PDA

View Full Version : Casting Technique.....

Southron Sr.
11-21-2010, 09:07 AM
Over on the Cast Boolits website they have a posting by a newly enlightened shooter. No doubt, his experience can also be applied to casting bullets for Civil War small arms.

About while back, (according to his posting) he decided to start casting bullets for a modern revolver he owns and reloads for. He purchased a lead pot, ladel, and a Lee mulitple cavity bullet mould.

Right off, he started using leather gloves because he was afraid of burning his hands when casting. He still got burnt, so he started wearing fireman's gloves over his regular leather gloves-but still got burnt occasionally.

He had been happily casting bullets for about a year when he went to a gun show and SAW A LEE MOULD THAT WAS ALMOST IDENTICAL TO THE ONE HE USED! What amazed him was that the mould he saw at the gun show had a pair of HANDLES ON IT!

So, he purchased a pair of handles for his mould and reports that casting bullets is now much easier.

MORAL OF THIS STORY: If you are not now using a pair of handles on your mould(s), get some! Handles make casting bullets so much easier!

William H. Shuey
11-21-2010, 07:47 PM
What is it they say??
"A Little knowledge is a dangerous thing"! Seriously, I'm not sure someone that dumb should be trusted with a firearm!

Bill Shuey

dml1296
11-22-2010, 12:59 AM
Hmmmm. This is a joke. Green

Ron/The Old Reb
11-22-2010, 08:47 AM
Dang! I always wondered what those slots on the sides of my moulds where for. Green

Southron Sr.
11-22-2010, 09:17 AM
Dear dml1296:

Regarding my original posting on this BB about that post over on the Cast Boolits website: Maybe the poster was joking or not-I don't know.

When it comes to casting-some people do WEIRD things. For example twenty odd years ago I ran into a fella at a gunshop. He told me he "shot his Zouave a lot." So I figured he might be a possible recruit for our team.

So I invited him to come up to my farm that coming Saturday. He should bring his Zouave and we would do some shooting. When he arrived at the farm on that Saturday morning he brought his Zouave and commented he had spent a lot of time the night before preparing ammo. So I asked him how many rounds did he bring. He replied: "Five."

Then he showed me his bullets. They were Minies that definitely looked strange! What he did for his "ammo supply" was to go by one of those Civil War Battlefield Parks in the Atlanta area and purchase their "Souviner" bullets for 50 Cents or so a bullet.

Since they were cast from TIN and OVERSIZE he would SAND THEM DOWN TO FIT THE BORE OF HIS ZOUAVE! Hand sanding those bullets down took all of his time.

Yup! You guessed it. This dude was a total IDIOT. I offered to show him to cast bullets but he turned me down. He fired his five rounds (they either keyholed in the backer board or took off for parts unknown) and then he took off for home. I never got around inviting him to join our team.

I figured it would take him a month to make enough ammo for a Skirmish, not to mention the expense.

John Holland
11-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Here's another one for your amusement.

I met a guy one time many years ago who worked in the same factory that I did. He searched me out because he heard that I shot muzzle loaders and he was having trouble getting a good group with his Zouave. Like Southron Sr., I thought he might be a candidate for our team. I asked him what he was shooting out of his Zouave. His answer.....BALL BEARINGS ! ! ! He said he didn't even need a patch because they were mostly tight enough as it was. He was very authorative so I told him I didn't think I could help him. And, no I didn't tell him anything about skirmishing!

I think there are so many "Zouave" stories around because at one time they were the cheapest rifled muzzle loader on the market.

JDH

dml1296
11-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Dear dml1296:

Regarding my original posting on this BB about that post over on the Cast Boolits website: Maybe the poster was joking or not-I don't know.

I agree that people do some really stupid things and I suppose that the story is plausible. I have worked for a gunsmith for 15 years since I
retired from my real job and I have seen some really strange things. There is one thing that stands out though. To the best of my knowledge,
Lee molds come with handles. I don't think that you can just buy the blocks.I guess that it's possible that said duffas bought the mold used
and the handles were removed.

Although I couldn't find the story on Cast Boolits, I suspect that it was in the humor section. :D

Of course, as usual, I could be wrong. :wink: Edit: OK, I was partially wrong about this. The six cavity molds do not come with handles.

Southron Sr.
11-22-2010, 06:21 PM
Dear John:

Correct me IF I am wrong, but I don't think it is illegal under N-SSA rules to shoot ball bearings. GEEZE! If I used the oil impregnated ball bearings, I wouldn't have to lube 'em!

THANKS! This might really work for my Smoothbore!

Eh...Eh...Eh... Just think: AP Smoothbore ammo!
(Just kidding!)

dml1296
11-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Ball bearings?!!!

I have had several calls at the shop asking if it was OK to shoot ball bearing in our shotguns. I tell them that it would not be a good idea.
Consider what a hardened steel ball would do when it struck a hard surface. Imagine shooting ball bearings in a confined space like an alley. :shock:
Boing! Boing! Boing!

John Holland
11-22-2010, 11:53 PM
I guess that would give a whole new meaning to "Pin Ball Wizard" ! ! !

JDH

Mike McDaniel
11-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

RaiderANV
11-26-2010, 02:20 PM
CLOREX!!!!,,,,,Get yer CLOREX!!! Buy one bottle get the 2nd 1/2 off!!! CLOREX!!!,,,,,,

***** DISCLAIMER****** NOTE: There is NO proof at this time that adding Clorex to ones Gene Pool will help. But what the heck,,,,,,,shor' couldn't hurt :roll:

John Holland
11-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Now Pat....You know you shouldn't be usin' them big Yankee words! That Southern drawl of yours will get you in trouble every time....Would you believe it's CLOROX....

Your Pal,
JDH

RaiderANV
11-28-2010, 08:12 PM
Scratches head,,,,,,Dang John, ah gone an figured that if'n I'd-ah spelt it write sumone would-ah got me me fer using da name witout da trade mark

Hey,,,,what's wrong wit ah fine Southron draw no how :?:

John Holland
11-29-2010, 01:27 AM
I love ya, Man ! ! !

OK, I may have borrowed that from Bud....weis....er.....

JDH