PDA

View Full Version : 1861 Whitney Navy Revolver

B. Miller
11-19-2010, 05:24 PM
I just picked up a reproduction 1861 Whitney Navy Revolver. The revolver was made in 1979 as indicated by the AE in a box stamped on the gun. The only other markings I can find on the gun are the standard Italian proofing marks. No Palmetto Tree to indicate Palmetto Arms DGWs recent manufacturer of the Whitney. There is a double diamond <><> in front of the serial number on the bottom of the grip any ideas on the manufacturer. Could it be one of the Richland Arms Imports?

Thanks, in advance info is appreciated.

Bruce

Boge
12-02-2010, 06:47 PM
It is IMO, however only Palmetto (also known as Armi San Paolo) made them.

William H. Shuey
12-02-2010, 10:53 PM
I had one of those, nice piece but I couldn't shoot it. The space between the grip and the trigger guard was too small. I found that the narrow space pinched the nuckle of my middle finger and that's one of the arthritic ones, OUCH!

Bill Shuey

B. Miller
12-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the imput I have to agree about the trigger gaurd there is not a whole lot of room. As for who made it, I have torn this thing apart and there is no indication as to who made it. Armi San Palo or Armi San Marco were my original thoughts. What really has suprised me is as to how much information is missing for something so recent as the reproduction black powder industry.
Thanks again,
Bruce

Southron Sr.
12-06-2010, 03:26 PM
I will say one thing about those little repro Whitney's-THEY ARE TOUGH LITTLE CRITTERS!!

Last year a friend of mine brought his repro Whitney over one Sunday afternoon. He hadn't shot it in years. He had four or five "chain-fires" in a row !!!

Every time he reloaded it he told me that he had corrected the problem and then: "KER-BOOOOOOOM!"

I was so impressed by the fireworks, smoke and festivities-I got to where I stood about ten yards behind him whenever he got ready to fire!

Outside of blowing his loading lever keeper to "parts unknown" that little Whitney seemed to thrive on those chain fires!

I couldn't help but think that little Whitney would make an ideal CCW gun. Even though it only shoots ONE time per cylinder-it would certainly scare the heck out of the bad guys!

Eggman
12-06-2010, 05:42 PM
And why was that? There are only two ports of entry into a chamber -- thru the nipple holes that may or may not have been covered by caps, or thru windage along side the loaded balls, which may or may not have been undersized, and possibly were not covered by grease. All problems are easily correctable.

William H. Shuey
12-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Memo to eggman:

What may not be correctable is the loose nut behind the trigger! :-)

Southron Sr.
12-07-2010, 10:19 AM
While the exact cause of the chain-fires are still a mystery, there is some belief that the cylinders had rusted thru!

By the way, I have read that the company that manufactured those little repro Whitneys, Palmetto, has gone bankrupt and out of business.

This was the same firm that manufactured the repro of the Colt Revolving Rifle for Dixie Gun Works.

Any truth to the bankrupt rumor?

Chris Sweeney
12-07-2010, 02:13 PM
The one I had was misthreaded in the receiver - When you thought you were aiming north, it was firing east! was off by more than 3 feet @ 25 yards!

John Holland
12-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Southron, Sr. -

Yes, it is true Palmetto has ceased operations. That is from a conversation with the Dixie Gun Works representatives at the past National.

JDH

B. Miller
12-07-2010, 07:50 PM
When this arrived I was quite impressed with the condition. The revolver was well greased before it was put away and seems to have been away for along time. Was Palmetto around in 1979 when this little revolver was proofed? I thought they were one of the newer Italian manufacturers. I plan on getting it out on some warm Saturday after flintlock deer season, probably March. Right now it's getting dark to early to run out to the range after work. I did find another one of these at a gun show a couple of years ago about the same age showed it to Bobby Myers and he scarfed it up. I need to ask him if there are any manufacturer IDs on his.
Thanks,
Bruce

Bob Myers 5238v
12-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Bruce the one I got at the show is marked Armsport Inc Mod.5022

B. Miller
12-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Thank you Bobby, I was goig to bring mine and ask you at the CVG winter meeting. Back then I do not believe there could have more than one company making this revolver. I probably have to get it to you for a SAC inspection and a card unless I can show that it was the manufacturer as Richland Arms, which I can't. Just have a hankerin to play with a 36 cal this year.
Bruce

AMB
12-09-2010, 09:40 PM
I have one with date code AL, serial number 38X with the palmetto trademark on the bottom of the butt. I think it's early 1980s but don't have my list handy. It was a mediocre shooter until I reamed the chambers out to 0.374". Now it's a tack driver. Too bad I'm a lousy pistol shot! I made up a set of walnut grips to the original profile and it holds much better. It's a keeper! By the way, no chain fires with No. 10 caps.

Ron/The Old Reb
12-10-2010, 08:36 AM
AMB
Al is 1983. I have one with AH witch is 1981 with Palmetto's trade mark on the bottom of the grip strap SN 27X. So Palmetto was around in 1981. With a difference of little over a hundred in about Two years they could not have been cranking them out very fast.