PDA

View Full Version : New Dr. Maynard Biography Just Released

maynardcarbine
11-18-2010, 09:37 AM
Newly released biography of Dr. Edward Maynard inventor of the Maynard Carbine and the Tape primer. Researched and written by one of his direct descendents. Titled Dr. Edward Maynard "Letters from the Land of the Tsar 1845-1846" America's Pioneering Dental Surgeon Turned Civil War Gun Inventor. Hardbound with Dust jacket, 216 pages, 80 pictures and illustrations including pictures of numerous Maynard prototype guns not seen by modern generations of Maynard gun enthusiast. $60.00 plus $5.00 media mail shipping. For more detailed information visit http://www.Maynardcarbine.com

Limited First Edition Printing.
Mail check or money order to:
Rodney Hatch
c/o Iron Horse Publishing
P.O. Box 433
North Salem, NY 10560

S.Sullivan
11-18-2010, 02:54 PM
Pre-dates your era of interest, but still, PJ do you have an order in?
S.Sullivan

RaiderANV
11-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Pre-dates your era of interest, but still, PJ do you have an order in?
S.Sullivan

Dear Santa.................... :idea:

maynardcarbine
11-29-2010, 08:58 AM
For those of you that have purchased my book, I greatly appreciate the business. With Christmas just around the corner, for those of you that have yet to decide what to ask your wife to give you, I am strongly suggesting my book. Please visit my website http://maynardcarbine.com for full details on book and how to order it.

Thank you,

Rodney

maynardcarbine
12-17-2010, 08:34 AM
There is still time to order this book and get it delivered for Christmas!

John Bly
12-17-2010, 04:51 PM
There is not a lot of information on Maynard's guns that is not common knowledge. The pictures of the prototype made at Springfield in 1853 are very interesting. I'm not sure any pictures of that gun have ever been published before. Most of the book is about his trip to Europe to try to sell the tape primer patents to the Europeans. It is letters that he wrote to his wife detailing his activities. It may not sound interesting, but I've found it quite interesting. He makes many observations of life in the places he visits. His funds run low when his efforts are unrewarded and he returns home disappointed and resigned to pursue his dental practice with new vigor.
Most of us know the story from there. This book gives a new perspective to Dr. Maynard's life before his accomplishments in firearms were realized. Don't expect to learn a great deal about the guns, but expect to learn a great deal about the man behind the guns.

maynardcarbine
12-20-2010, 11:17 PM
The Springfield Maynard Prototype to the best of my knowledge has not appeared in any other publication before, nor have the Bolt Action Conversion Prototypes nor the Breech Loading Conversion Prototypes. Dr. Maynard's personal cased 4 barrel set has not appeared in any other publications nor have his hand carved wood model prototypes, nor his three Tape Primer lock models that he travelled through Europe with, nor his Prussian Order of the the Red Eagle given to him by the King of Prussia. Additionally it is mentioned in passing in some of his obits, that he was presented a magnificent ring by the Family of the Tsar of Russia as a thank you present for his revolutianary dental procedures that he performed on the teeth of the Tsar's family members while in St. Petersburg, this ring hasn't seen the light of day outside of Old Doc Maynard's family in 165 years. If you actually read the letters in this book and the musings of old Doc Maynard, you realize what a business genius he was and you learn alot about the history of St. Petersburg, Prussia, Paris and Belgium in 1845 and 1846. How many American's were in St Petersburg in 1845? According to Maynard at most 10. How many wrote down their daily observations? I am guessing 1, Dr. Maynard. Most Maynard gun information has been rehashed by the same publications for the past 100 years, a combination of Maynard Company Catologue company reprints and whatever scant amount of personal information bouncing about that was common knoledge. This book is the first fresh biography about this Revolutionary Dental Surgeon, Cutting Edge Gun Designer and Developer and Business Entrepreneur who was way ahead of his time and whose life has gone under appreciated for way too long.