PDA

View Full Version : James River Armory reviews

Gary B
11-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Can anyone out there offer some reviews of the James River Armory "Skirmish Grade" rifles, as to quality and accuracy ?
Thanks in advance,
Gary B.

Greg Ogdan, 11444
11-15-2010, 02:54 PM
Gary,

We have an A smoothbore team member that shoots a 30" James River gun. He seems to like it quite well.

Des
11-15-2010, 03:06 PM
I have 3 JRA skirmish grade weapons, Whitney, Richmond and a Macon. I am in Yorktown and if you would like to see them and discuss them I would be happy to meet with you.

RaiderANV
11-15-2010, 04:20 PM
I've had several and my backup gun is a JRA Whitneyville. Guns are nicely done and all will shoot better then whoever's holding them. You can't go wrong for the money.

Gary B
11-17-2010, 09:01 AM
Thanks guys for the great input, very helpful
Gary B.

hp gregory, 9128
11-17-2010, 02:34 PM
gary i have several james river rifles. there are also a good many on our team. the richmond rifle i had shot well. a 55 rifle on our team does very very well for its owner. as with most repros you have to work the locks over to get a good trigger. the barrels are made out of rather hard steel and when hoyt cut them he had to go to a better grade of cutter to get the job done properly. the james river rifles fill a very important hole for skirmishers. he makes rifles that people want but normaly cant buy at a reasonable cost because they are only avaiable in custom form. if you want a rifle that is several steps above the across the counter repros the james river guns fill the bill. after all the average price of the parts to build a custom rifle or musket these days is around 1000 dollars. james river guns come in well under this. i would say they are a lota gun for the money.

hp gregory

Gary B
11-18-2010, 02:45 PM
HP, thanks for the in depth review. I agree you can't buy the custom parts for under $1000 and these seem to fit the bill for getting a quality shooter into the hands of a new recruit fast ! I cannot build one fast enough for someone who wants to start now !
Based on your review and the others who replied, I am recommending he buy one from James River.
Thanks again for everyone's input.
Y'all have a great Thanksgiving !
Gary B.