PDA

View Full Version : Rapine Mold 575463

Rebel Dave
11-12-2010, 01:53 PM
Anyone have any experiecne with this bullet,???. The box says it is 315 grns. It is like the Lyman 575494 wad cutter, but is more pointed, and has a thinner skirt. I have had this mold for more than 20 yrs and never used it. I was thinking of trying it out in a Numrich BBLd gun that I have, with 40-45 grains of 3f.

If any on has tried it how did it work, and what bbl, and charge did you use, and how did it do,??.

Thanks Rebel Dave aka Dave C.

jbarber
11-12-2010, 05:53 PM
I've used this bullet for 20 years in my '61 two-band, but only at 50 yards. Its poor sectional density, little better than a round ball, causes it to destabilize rapidly. It will do ok at 100 yards unless it's a windy day, and then all bets are off.
I believe it will do well in the Numrich barrel which has a multi-groove configuration similar to the Hoyt barrel which I use.
I think the Numrich has 1 in 72" pitch which should work well with the short bearing area of this bullet. I use 40 grains of 3F Goex with very good accuracy. Jon Barber 1483-V, 110th OVI

Ron/The Old Reb
11-12-2010, 07:39 PM
I have both the 575 and a 580 mold for these bullets. And have been shooting them for about 15 or so years. I shoot the 575 in my Zouave with a Hoyt lined barrel and 45grs of 3F. The 580 I use in my Richmond carbine with 45grs of 3F. They both shoot great at 50yds. But as on the previous post do not hold up very good on a Windy day at 100yds. But in a light wind they hold up good. At the fall Nationals I shot one of the best 100yd targets I have ever shot with my Zouave and this bullet.

Rebel Dave
11-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks guys--- for the in sight on this bullet. I will try it out, with 3f, and go from there.

I shoot the lyman wadcutter in my Fayetteville, and Richmond Carbine, and I have noticed, that it also is finnicky at 100 yrds. I have Harmon/Large BBls on both guns also. I shoot it with 40 grns of 3f.

The Numrich BBld gun is, a gun that I made in 1985, never shot, and sold. It is a Dickson Nelson C.S. Rifle. I re-obtained it From Lodgewood, after the fall Nats. I allways kind of regretted selling it. So, now I get to shoot an ole friend. Thanks for the insight again, guess I'll keep the mold for now.

Rebel Dave aka Dave C.6273

DAVE FRANCE
11-14-2010, 11:51 AM
Ron and Jon,

A bullet that drifts a lot at 100 yards if there is a wind can cause a big problem at times. At one of the Nationas skimishes the team I was in (1st Mich Infantry) was in 1st place leading to the last event, which was 100 yard - large pots, at that time (around 1980). I think the wind was around 20 mph.

I used a heavier Minie and was hitting some of the posts by aiming at the left edge. After a few shots, there were three pots hanging that were partially shot away. It took us a long time to break all the pots and while we were doing that the three partially shot pots were hit again. We did not finish first.

Afterwards, I asked why they shot them over. Some of the skirmishers said they were shooting at different pots but the bullets drifted over enough to the right to hit the pieces that were hanging.

I have never shot a Minie with a shoulder - like a semiwadcutter, except for the 1st year I was in the N-SSA because it seemed like a disadvantage to me. a few years ago I asked an engineer who was a ballistics engineer for the army at Aberdeen, and an N-SSA member, if there was any advantage for a shoulder on a bullet. He said there is no advantage. I knew the answer before asking. I've shot in teams that won 1st, 2nd, etc several times, and nobody used a semiwadcutter.

Actually the original Minie used in the Civil War is a good design. Some changes in length and weight to tailor it to the twist of the barrels we use, make sense, but nothing needs to be done to the design for our skirmishing except length and weight. I have shot Minies similar to the original Minise from 450 to about 520 grains and they all shot well.

Excuse me for going on so long about this, but I like to try to help people help themselves do the best they can.

David

Rebel Dave
11-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the reply Dave.

I always like your Knowlegdeable answers and obsevations, They are Good reading.

Maybe I'll try casting some original minnies and see how they work. The wadcutter designs, and also the newer Hodgdon type bullets all have the shoulder you mention. If you think about it, it is a drag right at the front of the projectile.

Thanks. Rebel Dave aka Dave C.6273

Ron/The Old Reb
11-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Dave I know what you are saying. I all so at times shoot the International mine in both my muskets with good results. I just can't see throwing all that lead down range, when all you are doing is punching a hole in a piece of paper or breaking a clay target. If it is a windy day I shoot the International bullet. 8)