PDA

View Full Version : 1861 Colt Special Repro

musketjon
11-03-2010, 01:53 AM
Gentlemen,
I recently picked up a pre-owned but un-fired repro of the 1861 Colt Special Rifle-Musket. I'll spare you the details but trust me, it's un-fired. Unfortunately it came sans box or any of the original papers. Someone just wanted a hanger over their mantle. Does any one have a copy of, or know where/how to get a copy of any reading material it might have come with?? Not that I really NEED it, I'd just like to have it. This rifle-musket is going to be the replacement for my original Wm Mason 1863 that I've been "skirmishing" with for the last 30+ years. I finally decided it was time to retire her before a major catastrophe retires her permanently, and yes, she still sports her original barrel, and yes, it's still got lots of rifling left.
I do have one question that I hope you can give me the answer to. Does this repro Colt have progressive-depth rifling??
Thanks for your assistance in this instance. If you're ever out on the left-coast in the PRK (The People's Republik of Kalifornia), look me up.
Respectfully,
Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Turner--Adjutant
So Cal Region
Civil War Skirmish Ass'n

Southron Sr.
11-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Back in 1976 at the NSGA Show (predecessor to the SHOT Show) in Chicago, I talked to one of the Vice Presidents of Colt and suggested that Colt come out with a repro of the Special Model 1861 and sell it as part of a set that also contained a "semi-auto only" Colt M-16A1. That both firearms have the same serial number. This set would be a "must have" for collectors if nothing else.

A few years later, Colt did come out with their repro of the Special Model 1861 and I have no idea IF my conversation with that Colt VP had anything to do with Colt's decision to repro the Special Model 1861.

Anyway, I did purchase a repro Special Model 1861 when they first came on the market. It was sometimes in the early 1980's (?). IF I recall correctly, the gun did not come with much paperwork or pamplets, certainly not like all the "goodys" you got when you purchased a Parker-Hale Enfield.

If nothing else, I would write a letter to Colt and request whatever pamplets or paperwork that should come with your Special Model.

John Gross
11-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Does any one have a copy of, or know where/how to get a copy of any reading material it might have come with??

First off, Colt had little to nothing to do with the reintroduction of their Model 1861 Special Rifle-Musket, except to allow their name to be used per a licensing agreement with a firm in Brooklyn, NY (the same company who now offers the line of modern Henry Lever Action rifles).

Production of these began about the mid-1990's, and ceased when the Brooklyn firm closed out the Colt Blackpowder line in 2002. The 1861 Colt Special was then offered by Chattahoochee Black Powder Arms of Cummings, GA.

I've never owned one so can't say exactly what paperwork they came with, but I would GUESS it was simply the generic black and white instruction manual. Colt Blackpowder Arms Co. (of Brooklyn) also offered catalogs, which I imagine would have info/specs on the 1861 Special.

You can find both of these manuals/catalogs on the various auction sites from time to time (ebay, gunbroker, etc.). If Chattahoochee is still in business you could also contact them.

John Gross

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/198390000/198390378/pix499558262.jpg

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/198294000/198294111/pix363066387.jpg

Blair
11-04-2010, 04:52 PM
I would have to agree with Southeron, Sr.
Colt was indeed involved in trying to set up and produce a Colt Special 1861in the late 1970's and early 1980's. Colt's Marketing plan ended up priced themselves out of the market.
Guy Owen, with his other stock making activities, was involved in making stocks for them during this time period.
I managed to buy a stock from Guy that was intended to be a "show piece stock" for the Company's display. It was a very highly figured piece of curly maple. Unfortunately the stock slipped or broke out the front centering point as he was milling it out. This damaged the for end enough that it could not be used for a full length Rifle Musket.
I was able to get the piece of wood for a song, and tuned it into the prettiest little Tallassee Carbine you have ever seen.
Closest I have ever come to owning a "Colt" Special anything.

John Gross
11-05-2010, 09:39 AM
I would have to agree with Southeron, Sr.
Colt was indeed involved in trying to set up and produce a Colt Special 1861in the late 1970's and early 1980's.

Southeron Jr. did not say that Colt tried to reintroduce the 1861 Special Rifle-Musket, he stated that Colt came out with (i.e. made/offered for sale) the M1861 Special. While I have no doubt that they toyed or experimented with the idea, the fact remains that from the time Colt reintoduced their 2nd Generation black powder line in 1971 to the time they discontinued it in 1982, they did not offer the 1861 Special.

It was not until the mid-1990's when Colt Blackpowder Arms Company of Brooklyn, NY, a separate entity from Colts' Manufacturing, did we see an 1861 Special. Since Colts' Manufacturing was allowing Colt Blackpowder to use their name, I would not be surprised if there was some discussion and idea swapping about the reintroduction of the 1861 Special, but in the end it was Colt Blackpowder who made/offered the rifles for sale.

I'm not saying this to argue or nit pick, but to help the original poster who is seeking paperwork on his 1861 Special. Dollars to donuts that if he contacts Colts' Manufacturing to get a factory letter, brochure, etc. on his 1861 Special, they will not be able to help him. Hence he needs to start with Colt Blackpowder of Brooklyn (which no longer exists under that name, but does now make the modern Henry lever action rifles).

John Gross

musketjon
11-06-2010, 01:02 AM
Gentlemen,
Thank you for the responses and information.
Respectfully Yours,
Jon Turner--Co. F, 17th Regt., Charlston Btn., Union Light Infantry
So Cal Region, CWSA