PDA

View Full Version : Die stuck in lyman 4500

ian45662
10-30-2010, 04:37 PM
I seem to have a die stuck in my lyman 4500 luberesizer. Its a 571 die if that helps

DAVE FRANCE
10-30-2010, 05:20 PM
I have a 450, so I'll assume it is the same.

The normal way you are supposed to get the die out is to seat a bullet in the die, remove the nut that fits at the top of the die. Put the wrench that comes with the lubrisizer under the bottom of the punch that raises the bullet. Then pull the handle up so the u-shaped part of the linkage pushes the punch up, and that should push the die out.

If that doesn't work, place a bullet that is large enough to not go through under the die at the top of the bottom punch, and raise the handle to cause the punch to rise and push the bullet up.

Sounds complicated. In simple terms. Put something (a bullet) under the die, and do what you have to to be able to get the bottom punch to push up on the bullet. Then the bullet will push the die up.

Bon Chance!

David

ian45662
10-30-2010, 11:17 PM
When I say its stuck I mean its STUCK. I cant seem to get it out.

Muley Gil
10-30-2010, 11:34 PM
Put a little heat on it.

Don't catch the bench on fire though!!

DAVE FRANCE
10-31-2010, 06:10 PM
Ian,

I underestimated your problem. Perhaps spraying it with one of the penetrating oils will help.

Call Lyman. You probably aren't the first person this problem has happened to.

If you remove the linkage that is supposed to push it up, and put it upside down, you can put a wooden dowel (larger than the hole through the die) against the die, and strike the dowel with a hammer to push it out.

Good luck!

David

ian45662
11-01-2010, 03:56 PM
The outside of the die is almost the same size as the hole in the bottom of the press. Every thing I put in there would just go right through after a little bit of pressure. I ended up taking the ram off and put the thing on a vise. I heated up the compartment that holds the die in-place and then with a small flat head screw driver I drove a wedge in between the press and the die. After a few hits it came out but I was starting to get really nervous lol. Thank you for all your replies.

DAVE FRANCE
11-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Glad you got it done.

One of the things that can cause a problem with these sizers is trying to size too much off a bullet. Especially if the bullet is hard lead. I broke a Lyman 450 sizer once by using it to size off too much over a period of years.

I try not to size off more than 1/1000 th from the bullet, but sometimes you have to.

I think the 4500 is stronger than the 450. I wish I had a lubrisizer that was faster but still did the same functions as the Lyman and RCBs sizers (sizing and lubricating simultaneously in the same die). It would be nice to have one that the operator could feed bullets in easier without each bullet being handled individually.

Does anybody sell something like that?

David

pastore
11-02-2010, 08:48 AM

Does anybody sell something like that?

David

Magma produces the old Star lubrisizer. Not cheap but fast and good.

ian45662
11-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Not cheap is right but if you shoot 15 or 20 thousand rounds out of your musket per year then it may be worth it

DAVE FRANCE
11-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Dear Mr Ian and Mr Pastore,

I looked at the Star machine on the internet, but if you don't mind would you describe more about how it works and how it saves time? I assume since it has been around for a long time, it is reliable.

The only part of hand loading I don't like is sizing and lubricating. It is so boring!

Thanks,

David

ian45662
11-02-2010, 08:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VggR95j ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VggR95jxHI&feature=related) . Now that is speed

ian45662
11-02-2010, 08:15 PM
This is the star http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLXVcz3RxsY

DAVE FRANCE
11-03-2010, 10:44 AM
Ian,

Thank you very much!

David

Paul Lampman 263V
11-03-2010, 03:47 PM
If you reload a great deal, casting your own bullets, the Star is worth the investment. It is 4 to 5 times faster than using a RCBS or Lyman without even trying to go fast. I know because I have them all. I use two Stars, one for hard lube, one for soft BP lube. The Star sizing dies are more expensive being in the $38 range the last time I looked. There was a reason why Magma Eng. acquired the rights to continue manufacturing it. Everything Star made was first rate and in demand. Once you acquire one, it will take death or infirmity to get it out of your hands.

ian45662
11-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Do you use it to size your minies and all that good stuff? The star that is.

Paul Lampman 263V
11-03-2010, 04:43 PM
I only use the Star for BP cartridge loading. You can get any size die you want from Magma so musket and carbine could be done on it. I prefer to dip big bullets as their grease grooves are not very deep and don't carry much lube. I like all the lube I can get on the big bullets.

Paul Lampman 263V
11-03-2010, 04:50 PM
I should have added in the previous post that I use the Harmon hand sizing dies in a jig on a drill press to get production on sizing my big bullets, pushed with a chucked piece of dowel rod.

DAVE FRANCE
11-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Paul,

That was a very convincing summary. I plan on buying one.

David

Paul Lampman 263V
11-03-2010, 05:24 PM
If you get one off ebay or from Magma make sure you opt for the die removal tool from Magma. It sure makes life easier when you are using more than one sizing die as the dies are very precision ground and fit snugly.

Lightrifle
11-07-2010, 08:30 PM
I have had a die stuck in my 4500. What I did was to find a washer that would just fit up in the hole where you die shows in the bottom so that the rod that pushes out the bullet can push against the die. I used a heat gun to warm the die and heat up the lube. I saved the washer should I have the problem again. The washer gives equal pressure all around the die. A .571 die doesn't give much space so the washer must touch all the surface of the die.