PDA

View Full Version : Most accurate load for a Remington .44

CAGerringer
10-30-2010, 03:09 PM
I've got a stainless steel, .44 cal, New Model Remington pistol, made by Pietta. Does anyone have experience in developing an accurate load for this revolver? I've heard varying recommendations as to different charges and balls, but figured if anyone would know, the people that read this forum would. Thanks.

Ron/The Old Reb
10-30-2010, 04:02 PM
20gr of 3f with cream of weat or corn meal filler is a good load to start with and a tight fitting ball. But to make these repro Remington's shoot accurate you need to ream out the cylinder so it will take a larger ball then the barrel diameter, preferably 457di. And then ream a forcing cone into the barrel. To fine one of these revolvers that shoot good groups right out of the box is rare.

CAGerringer
10-30-2010, 09:09 PM
Ron,
I ran a .451 ball down the barrel and it came out .446. Do you still recommend reaming the cylinder for a .457...or a .454?
There is a forcing cone, but it is shallow, rough and only about 1/16 of an inch deep. Should that be smooth and how deep would you recommend? Thanks.
Charlie

Don Dixon
10-31-2010, 10:32 AM
If you search the forum, you will find a large amount of information on good loads for the Remington, as well as suggestions regarding appropriate gunsmithing for them.

Regards,
Don Dixon
2881V

Ron/The Old Reb
10-31-2010, 12:01 PM
Charile
I assume that you slug the barrel from the muzzle end. The problem with that is that some times the barrel is larger at the breach then at the muzzle. What I would do is slug the cylinder and see what the diameter the cylinder charmers are. If they are two ore three thousandths larger then 446 Try shooting it and see what results you get. As for the forcing cone there is a tool that some gunsmiths have that Will cut a 11 or 12 degree cone in the barrel and it should be polished. If you want to reamer the cylinder and your barrel is 446 I do not think I would not go any larger then 454. My revolvers all have 451 barrels on them and the cylinders are reamed 457. The Forcing cones are deeper then what the tool that cuts the 11 degree cone dose. But I am not shure how deep. Because I reamed them on a lathe. And they are polished like a piece of chrome. Maybe someone else on the board has a better idea. :idea: