PDA

View Full Version : Finest black powder measure I've seen

John Wells 3rd US
10-26-2010, 08:15 PM
I just received my Montana Vintage Arms powder measure. As a long time owner, user and admirer of the old Belding and Mull Measure, I can truthfully say that this measure takes the old B&M design and trumps it in every way!! Materials, fit, finish, subtle design changes, all improved immeasurably(!) beyond my treasured B&M. The measuring chamber has a much finer thread, very fine micrometer style markings for repeatability of settings. All non-ferrous non-plastic construction especially for added safety with black powder. Workmanship couldn't be exceeded in quality. And, it looks like you could run over it with the family car without doing it much harm. Even a dandy quick release mount for the bench so the unit can be removed for emptying the hopper in about 5 seconds, yet be super secure when in use.
I guess I'm trying to say i like it, and consider it money well spent. A well-made tool you can enjoy forever.

(No commercial interest in MVA, just enthusiastic!!)

http://www.montanavintagearms.com/reloading.html

http://www.montanavintagearms.com/powder_measure_big.jpg

Lou Lou Lou
10-27-2010, 06:56 AM
Sure looks like a 21st Century B&M. How much are they?

John Wells 3rd US
10-27-2010, 07:48 AM
I think $189. Click on the link in the first post for options on hopper size, etc.

Scott Kurki, 12475
11-05-2010, 11:19 AM
I too have one of these from MVA. I am very happy with it. I also purchased extra measuring tubes so I can have them setup for each of my loads without having to change any settings. Once your load is tweeked, that is it.

mwmoore10261
11-10-2010, 08:20 AM
I have a Belding & Mull powder dispenser (the tubes are the actual measuring device). Are MVA measuring tubes compatible with Belding & Mull powder measures? I don't need another powder holder, just the measuring tubes so I can set them up for different loads. Also on the MVA website I don't see the individual tubes listed, just the Powder measure with a single tube supplied. Do you need to call the company to purchase items?
Mike Moore, 10261

Scott Kurki, 12475
11-10-2010, 10:09 AM
I do not know about the compatibility between B&M and MVA measures. I called MVA to order my extra measures, they were $50.00 ea.
The person I contacted at MVA is:
Bobbie Gier
(406) 388-4027
bobbie@montanavintagearms.com

Jim Mulligan 7288V
07-06-2011, 07:33 PM
John,
I purchased the MVA measure and agree with your opinion. Now if I could shoot as well as my ability to measure powder....
Thanks for posting.
Jim