PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi rifle ramrod length?

Ken Hansgen, 11094
10-15-2010, 12:20 PM
I have a repro M1851 rifle in .58 cal. The (brass) rammer projects beyond the muzzle when in its channel, so I'm checking. One person has measured hers (which I think is a repro) and told me it was 32-15/16 inches. Is this correct also for an original?

Jim_Burgess_2078V
10-15-2010, 01:20 PM
M1841 Mississippi rifles have 33-inch barrels (outer dimension). The bore will be slightly shorter due to the length of the breech plug. The ramrod should be at least as long as the bore. A little bit longer wouldn't hurt to allow for better handling. 32-15/16" or 33" would be about right. I have a repro Mississippi and I decided I didn't like the looks of the ramrod that came with the gun so I purchased a good quality repro rod at the last Nationals. The new ramrod is a bit thicker and does not fully seat in its channel (sticks out about 1-1/2") because the channel is not bored correctly and the rod hits the front lockplate side screw. Not sure I can correct that problem so it might be something I'll just have to live with.
Jim Burgess, 15th Conn. Vol. Inf.

Bronc
10-15-2010, 08:04 PM
Jim - if you look at original Mississippi rifles or military spec drawings of 1841 Mississippis, you will note that the ramrod length is at or very closely meets the end of the muzzle. I don't know the length of the ramrod, but it is enough to be even with the muzzle when placed fully in its channel. With that, let's look at practical matters.
If you are into reenacting, the ramrod length probably matters. It needs to look correct and is not used during during reenactment "battles."
Skimishing is another matter. The ramrod is not replaced in its channel during competition so ramrod length not matter; in fact, the rulebook does not address ramrod length. Since the ramrod is only used to ram home the bullet, all you really need is an inch plus extra in length to withdraw the rod. You won't be cleaning the barrel with this thing or extracting "dry balls"; compressed air will be used for that.
So - with skirmishing, use whatever length rod you have and be happy. Also, serious skirmishers use an all brass rod to protect the rifling at the muzzle. Not period correct, but saves the rifling.

P.Altland
10-15-2010, 09:58 PM
See Section 14.14 for rule on ramrods